My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what belt numbers to use on my 54 inch deck I just mounted under my LX178? Sticker on deck says 54 muncher compatible. S/N sticker calls it a 54C. Deck came with no belts. And the primary belt for my 38 inch deck is a bit too short for this 54. Also a part number for the tensioning spring on the secondary belt would be helpful also as it was/is missing. Guy I got the deck from couldn't remember what model it was on and this is a bit of a one off set up so I need some help from you experts here! Thank you. And yes the deck itself mounted perfectly. Can't wait to use it!
20210717_223428.jpg
20210717_223404.jpg
20210717_211422.jpg
20210717_223428.jpg
20210717_223404.jpg
20210717_211422.jpg

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I doubt you will find one. The largest deck Deere shows for the LX178 is 44”. Even if you can find a belt that will fit, you’ll run into two issues. Your tractor is a manual lift. Raising and lowering a heavy 54” deck with one arm will probably be a very unpleasant experience. Also the LX178 is a 15 hp. A 54” needs a minimum of 18 hp to function properly.

The tensioner spring and secondary belt part number can be found on the JD parts website. Use the deck model number.

·
Premium Member
6,364 Posts
IMHO, the tractor could power that deck fine (assuming it fits and the O.P. figures out the right length belt to use), as it's only a couple of HP less than recommended. Most likely, they would only notice the engine bogging down more is when they are cutting particularly thick/tall grass, where they would have to go a little slower.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
The deck will mount, it will work. JD never intended the LX100 series to use a 54" but it will fit as it's basically a wider 48", which came with the LX188... Just use the belt for an LX188 w/ 48" and it should hook right up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I doubt you will find one. The largest deck Deere shows for the LX178 is 44”. Even if you can find a belt that will fit, you’ll run into two issues. Your tractor is a manual lift. Raising and lowering a heavy 54” deck with one arm will probably be a very unpleasant experience. Also the LX178 is a 15 hp. A 54” needs a minimum of 18 hp to function properly.

The tensioner spring and secondary belt part number can be found on the JD parts website. Use the deck model number.
The deck will mount, it will work. JD never intended the LX100 series to use a 54" but it will fit as it's basically a wider 48", which came with the LX188... Just use the belt for an LX188 w/ 48" and it should hook right up.
Yeah the deck mounted right up and lifts with minimal more effort than my 38 inch. I'm not worried about power for late season mowing conditions here. I'm keeping my 38 deck for heavy mowing and bagging. Theyre simple to swap around. My question lies in what model do I call this deck and what model tractor would it have came factory on. Hard to look up parts when I don't exactly know what I have. I know models should provide the primary belt number I need for the swap and parts for the deck itself. Any pointers? Thank you!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Your tractor model never came with a 54" deck, so you won't find info on it. You will find info on the 48" deck for your machine. The advice was to use that belt.

That is probably better advice than trying to find the belt for some other machine that did use the 54" deck, but might have a different wheelbase and/or need a different belt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your tractor model never came with a 54" deck, so you won't find info on it. You will find info on the 48" deck for your machine. The advice was to use that belt.

That is probably better advice than trying to find the belt for some other machine that did use the 54" deck, but might have a different wheelbase and/or need a different belt.
Agree and understand completely. Did tractors that had a factory 48 and 54 deck use the same primary belt? What model tractor was available with both?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
LX178, I REALLY like Frogmore's response, especially, "go look them up at JD Parts." This is https://partscatalog.deere.com/ and will show every bolt & part used on JD tractors.

Go there and create a free account. Identify your local and you'll know what he has in stock and what he'll need to order. It takes a to find your way around in there, but you'll get it! Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
After hours of research I figured out the right combination and am up and going. So yes a 54 inch deck works on an lx178 perfectly now. Mission accomplished!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
So, which belt was the winner?
Is it the same one as listed for the 48" deck for the LX178?

Not sure how many people will be trying to use a 54" deck with the LX series, but you could save them some time.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I've looked for a 54" for my 188 but never found one at the right price, being I have a 48" as it is. Considering the power flow fan is the same for both, as well as the mandrels, it seems like they are identical except for the width

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've looked for a 54" for my 188 but never found one at the right price, being I have a 48" as it is. Considering the power flow fan is the same for both, as well as the mandrels, it seems like they are identical except for the width
[/QUOTE
I stumbled onto this 54 deck as a free parts deck while I was looking for options bigger than my 38. 600 mile round trip to pick it up on a hopefull hunch it would fit and work. Glad I took the chance as going from 38 to 54 will cut my mowing time here on the farm significantly! Gonna keep my 38 and bagger for heavy mowing and leaf pickup. These things are simple to swap around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts