My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, about a month ago one of my local TSC store had one but some one bought it before i could i
take any measurements or make any assessments. So operating on hope and stupidity i rain-checked one and ~ 1 month later it arrives.

Upon trying to hook it up to do a little testing its apparent that this thing is way too tall. (see picture)

I guess my next question is any advice? There weirdly enough is a new behlen manufacturing plant down the road in Mcgregor which i could go see if they would cut down the length or I could take it back or go out to my dads cut down (not the problem) and weld it ( problem, neither one of our welds are 100%)

Sent from the MTF Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well, I see several issues. The sub soiler is Cat 1 right? The top link connection looks waaaay high from your pics. Much higher than your top link will reach. Also, the shank will need to be shortened a lot to make up for the limited lift height of this hitch. Your 3 pt hitch does not look like a Deere OEM version. The draft arms on the Deere 3 pt kick up a little at the ends for a little more lift, but is still not enough for your sup soiler to clear the ground.
So , you will need a longer top link and shorten the shank several inches for this to work.

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
If you're set on keeping it, it appears that you could cut the welds on the angle piece (that the shovel mounts to) and move it up right below where the cross piece is; you could even leave the tail hanging down behind in case you ever want to reverse the process. As for the welding, you should be fine even if you can scab something together since there's enough surface area there and you don't have anywhere near the potential pulling force of a CUT. :fing32:

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm looking at the pics and thinking even if you cut and rewelded the "blade mount" all the way up the vertical shank you still wouldn't get much ground clearance.

I believe there is 13" of "travel" in the 3 point hitch at the lift eyes. Measure from the earth up the shank and note this point. This is the max depth you will get and still pull the implement up to just at the surface.

I know there are varying opinions here, but it is my opinion that the Garden tractors are best suited to Cat 0 type implements. Most of the Cat 1 stuff is built for tractors much larger than a GT. I think you would find that even a SCUT will be limited in lift clearance with that implement.

I have tried a couple implements for my 3720 that are Cat 1 or cat 2 and found them to be best suited to the cat 2 application.

I have a nice ripper for my 3720 and find that I need the hydraulic top link sucked in to get any sort of decent ground clearance.

I have the 102 series listed below. The ER series listed in same document looks like you could redrill and shorten it up to match your machine.

http://www.edneyco.com/assets/files...star Ripper Single-Shank Operators Manual.pdf

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
There won't be much ground clearance, but that's nothing new with limited Cat 1 or Cat 0 implements. I'm certain that a 4wd X could bend/break some of the Cat 0 implements I've seen (some are beefier than others). Limited Cat 1 implements are key; full size Cat 1 implements won't work without modifications (even with modifications they usually aren't realistic).

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Realistically, you will be pulling that maybe 3 inches deep, at best.

4 inches will stop the tractor.

Those #'s are in loose garden soil. Un-plowed ground, expect 0 penetration.

What are you hoping to do with it? :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
15,492 Posts
This is what I use for a sub soil ripper. As you can see it is adjustable and you can add as many as 8 suitcase weights to the Heavy Hitch.

Attachments

·
X530, 48 Deck/44 Blower
899 Posts
Larry, I like your ripper set up. I would have lots of uses for something like this, but I can't justify the move to a X700-series tractor (I love my X530 though)!

This is what I use for a sub soil ripper. As you can see it is adjustable and you can add as many as 8 suitcase weights to the Heavy Hitch.

·
Super Moderator
15,492 Posts
Larry, I like your ripper set up. I would have lots of uses for something like this, but I can't justify the move to a X700-series tractor (I love my X530 though)!
I can ubderstand that. After I got the tractor then I realized there were other things I could do with it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after thinking about it, I just returned the item. My original plans was to build my own but i didnt think i could build it for $160 for materials and time.

But I do have some metal laying around so off to the drawing board.

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
You should build your own "draw bar" similar to the heavy hitch with a 2" receiver.

Then you will have a weight bracket for 8 suitcase weights. and be able to easily make a soil ripper for the 2" receiver basically like larrys setup.

I did this for the Cat1 hitch on my 455. I can post pics if your interested

·
Registered
573 Posts
I think I got the same one the original poster had. I did get mine to work but it took some changes. I did not cut it down. It was a CAT 0 so I had to modify a couple things to get the lower arms to work. I then bought a new upper link and had to modify it a bit. There is very little ground clearance in transport mode so I have to be careful or not install it till I am close to the work site. It goes fairly deep and works well but as mentioned it took some changes. I have ran the sub-soiler tip thru some virgin/unbroken soil and it pulled deep and did not stop the tractor. I will see if I have any pictures I can dig up later.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The one that Larry has looks to be a very nice and simple piece. A shear bolt might not be a bad idea, but I don't think the X series has enough grip to truly hurt anything.

·
Super Moderator
15,492 Posts
The one that Larry has looks to be a very nice and simple piece. A shear bolt might not be a bad idea, but I don't think the X series has enough grip to truly hurt anything.
I haven't used it for a sub soiler yet but the County came down our road last year and cut a bunch of sapplings that were hanging out close to the road. They were maybe 3" to 4" in diameter, a couple were bugger. They cut them about 3 or 4 inches above grade and it's in an area I mow so when I got the subsoil ripper I put enough weight on it to get it started and added wieght to the front of the tractor and dug in and snagged the roots and pulled them out of the ground. I can tell you it did not break traction but pulled the front end up with 4 suitcase weights hanging out there. I would back up a little and hit it again and eventually pull them out.

·
Super Moderator
15,492 Posts
Roy Rector has a you tube video out using the same sub soil ripper I have on his X748. Pretty interesting to watch. He ran into an old piece of steel conduit in the ground and bent it and pulled it up.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Here are the pics from last year when I was using the sub-soiler. These were on ground that had been tilled the year prior.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the pics I knew it would be close but for me it wasnt close enough to fit.

That JD TPH has enough upturn to make it just work from what i can see.

I plan to build the exact model but on a smaller scale.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well several weeks of bending and welding has produce this contraption. It works fairly well if i weight it down with suitcase weights even though it weighs atleast ~75lbs. Though i wish i would have made the shank about 1/2- 1" shorter this thing drags when i go up hill.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello . That's some nice work .I have a idea for your ripper . Make a transport top link out of some flat stock so the ripper can tilt up and dose not drag on the ground . When you get out in the field to work change the top link back and go to ripping up.
Wasz

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Hello . That's some nice work .I have a idea for your ripper . Make a transport top link out of some flat stock so the ripper can tilt up and dose not drag on the ground . When you get out in the field to work change the top link back and go to ripping up.
Wasz
Sounds like he needs a hydraulic top link!! :fing32:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts