My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been starting to search for an original front blade or snow blower for my 1973 990 for this winter. I figured this would be the best place to check to see if anyone had one they didnt need or knew of one for sale. You all seem to be able to find attachments way easier than I can. I'm in Virginia but am an avid road tripper so I'm willing to travel a decent distance for a good price. Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
are you on FB... theres an MTD page on there might be a good place to ask.

I have a couple blowers and a blade but Im in Alberta... and I had a guy here yesterday said he is coming back this week to buy my 960 with a blower. Havent tried one of these blowers myself but the 54" blade is sure nice.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,065 Posts
I've run the 990 blower. Runs good. The one we had threw snow pretty far, and the tractor didn't bog down much, if even at all. The belt tensioner systemis pretty cheesy, but it does work. I always thought the belt was hard to put on also, but maybe I wasn't doing it right.

·
Premium Member
6,173 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are you on FB... theres an MTD page on there might be a good place to ask.

I have a couple blowers and a blade but Im in Alberta... and I had a guy here yesterday said he is coming back this week to buy my 960 with a blower. Havent tried one of these blowers myself but the 54" blade is sure nice.
Recently joined the group, I'll be asking there. Thanks!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've got a blade, unfortunately without any of the linkage to connect it. Going to be making a cross-bar, the lift straps, and front plates myself. I can't find a diagram of one of these on a tractor, unfortunately. Just instructions on how to put it on. Mainly looking for how the linkage hooks up and what the frame hanger bracket sits on. There isn't anything under my tractor.

Edit: appears I have a non-scissors lift blade. That's unfortunate, but it seemingly has a hole through it right behind the frame hanger to slide a piece of rod stock through. Not sure if it was modified to fit both tractors or what. I think my spare tractor has a subframe, the question is how much modification do I have to make to run it on my scissors lift tractor?

Found this image that @VTXRider posted a few years ago, looks fairly similar.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
These brackets bolted onto the front are what keep the plow from moving to the side.
The lift linkage would be bent if only that is what would hold it. There is a lot of side force when plowing.
I have a set if you are interested in buying, PM me.
That looks like a factory subframe that can be used on both styles of carriage lifts.

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the offer, but I've built a set out of some angle iron. A friend and I used VTX's drawings to build them. Drilled them for both of my tractors in case I ever need it on the 860, but I don't think I will. Took it out with the chains on today and it effortlessly moved everything I wanted it to. Surprised me when I butted it up against a pile of cinder blocks. Just moved it without trying! This tractor is a beast and I know I've already found my most useful implement. I've already bought paint and I intend on stripping and painting the entire thing before the first snow hits, if I can ever stop playing with it...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
Great work on the front brackets.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the compliments. I'll be oiling it as well as painting, white lithium grease worked great on my walk behind last year even with rust. I just don't want it to rust any more than it is. Has a decent amount of pitting.. I'm going to put any updates after this in my tractor's thread. This ones title is kinda misleading now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been starting to search for an original front blade or snow blower for my 1973 990 for this winter. I figured this would be the best place to check to see if anyone had one they didnt need or knew of one for sale. You all seem to be able to find attachments way easier than I can. I'm in Virginia but am an avid road tripper so I'm willing to travel a decent distance for a good price. Thanks all!
I have an newer blade and blower mounted on a Farm King Hydrostatic 16 in Antioch, IL. It's listed on Facebook Marketplace at $425 for the tractor, blower, and blade. Runs perfectly and everything works. There is a photo on Facebook, will try to attach it here as well.

farmking.jpg

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've since found and restored a blade for my tractor, but thanks for the offer!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts