My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys,

Please forgive a rookie and possbily stupid questions.

I am going to try to get two suburbans I got running. First set of questions is basic engine questions, forgive me as the extent of engine work I have done is replacing spark plugs and cables/oil.

1. I am planning on draining the oil and gasoline and replacing it. Any further suggestions before I try to turn over?

2. From what I have read, there are ways to check the starter to see if it is working with a multimeter, I feel comfortable reading up on that from previous threads. The next step would be to check spark and compression correct? Would the cheap spark checker and compression tester from harbor freight work? Please bear in mind I am on a small budget.

Next is paint questions

3. What do you recommend for sanding? I have an orbital sander that I could use, but I was considering buying the small sandblaster (again at harbor freight)
http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html is the one I was looking at. I was thinking of buying that and media from Tractor Supply. I dont have a large compressor, so I was thinking of trying out that small one with my pancake compressor (not expecting to be able to do large areas at a time of course)

4. Paint codes. Anyone know where I can find them or at least a close match? I checked vintagesearsgardentractors.com but couldnt quite find it.

5. Paint application, would I be fine spray painting (can)? Not trying to do a full restoration so not that picky, and my compressor cant handle the nice guns, just want it to look presentable.

6. Decals. Where can I find the decals? May sand around them if they are hard to find, may take them off if it is bad. Any other suggestions welcome and appreciated!

·
Administrator
21,326 Posts
Hello, there, Timmy.

No stupid questions around here! If you don't know, only 1 way to find out, so ask away.

When you get to the point of wanting the paint questions answered, check this out:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156

LOTS of good info there, and if you don't see what you need, ask away, and the answers will be posted shortly. Some great paint/body folks on here.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
Drain and refill oil and gas is definitely step one- You may want to pull the bowl off the carb and make sure everything inside is freed up- if you are lucky the guy that parked it drained the gas before parking it- if not, expect varnish and or rust in the bowl.

To check spark, you can use one of those cheap inline plug testers with a light bulb... It will give you an indication if it has any spark.

The starter generator will turn when juice is applied to it whether or not the generator part charges.

I use a orbital sander on all areas that I can, and the rest I had sand (I need a sandblaster)

Paint codes are available somehwere on the forum... Equipment yellow is pretty close the the yellow on the ST16, and IH white is pretty close to the offwhite- The orange I would use Chevy orange (Like the engine paint) and white. I have done paint every way- spray can, spray gun/compressor, and brush... Spray can is the easiest but you are limited in color choices. Just make sure the surface is adequately prepped, and you will have fine resluts. Remember the paint will get beat up... It's a tractor.

Some Decals can be had on Ebay through reproduction guys, I have made my own on paper and laminated then glued them on- they came out fine for my liking.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Regarding the sandblaster, I wouldn't do a tractor restoration without one. I use a blast cabinet also from HF, but I can't say what luck you are going to have with the little mobile unit.

Here's a little video series I have going for the restoration of my Sears Suburban, maybe you'll pick up a thing or two you can use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSBSzP9Aio4

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Regarding the sandblaster, I wouldn't do a tractor restoration without one. I use a blast cabinet also from HF, but I can't say what luck you are going to have with the little mobile unit.

Here's a little video series I have going for the restoration of my Sears Suburban, maybe you'll pick up a thing or two you can use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSBSzP9Aio4
Hey great help thanks!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
for the spark and compression testers from hf they are good quality to me. i have them and used them with no problems. for the sandblaster. a orbital sander is nice but it is slowerand not as effective as a sand blaster. to the sandblaster you are looking at it will get the ob done buttake a while. i have the 40lb one and it works great. keep the question comeing we are happy to help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts