My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there! I'm just an Ohio boy rebuilding a John Deere R72 rear- engine riding mower. I dropped the deck and lubed some stuff (not the drive belt...lol) and reinstalled the drive chain back onto the axle sprocket; the chain had come off. I retensioned it, and tried to drive it, and the clutch will not fully disengage. I notice with the gear in neutral (of course) that with the clutch all ther way depressed, the transmission drive pulley is still spinning, and the transmission shift lever doesn't want to shift gears. When the engine is shut off, the shifter works fine. I bought the manual from JD new, and it says nothing about a clutch adjustment. Is the brake supposed to immobilize the transmission pulley somehow? Thanks in advance for any help; I'm stumped! :banghead3

·
Administrator
21,222 Posts
Welcome, Gloughner. Glad you found the site. You'll get plenty of help around here with your project. I put a copy of this thread down in the John Deere forum where it may get noticed by more people that might be able to answer your question. Check in often and have fun. Lots to see and do around here.

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
gloughner

:MTF_wel2: We are glad to have you. There are many friendly and knowledgeable folks here at MTF, so enjoy all the different forums. Click on ”Active Topics” near the top left of the page for all the latest activity. You can also register with other members from your state by clicking here:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi Gloughner

If the clutch is not stopping the transmission input pulley from turning then it wont want to go into gear. Is it possible that someone has changed the belt to one that is too short? Check the clutch pedal linkage. It should apply a brake and also move an idler pulley that acts as the clutch by loosening the belt that drives the transmission when you push the vclutch pedal.

Brian

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcome to MTF. Glad you joined us.

·
MTF Member Since Day 1
622 Posts
:MTF_wel2: gloughner

Lot's of good information here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts