1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So these are the before shots:

I got her at this auction:
http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/817890

I took the bagger off, cleaned her up and replaced the torn and stained seat (also removed that huge dealer tag)

She washed up pretty well.

I did my first cut (I should have gotten a better picture of the lawn) she did a pretty decent job, but I do have a couple deck adjustments to make.

She does have a lot of hours on her (374) so I will keep you posted as to how well she continues to run. I also will check into that tranny (how the fluid looks) and give you guys some feedback on that.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
That looks OUTSTANDING!!. You sure it's the same mower?

370 hours isn't too bad, unless it's only a year or two old. It should still be good for many more years of dedicated service, though. Glad you got the dealer sticker off, That was way tacky.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol I know it does look like a different mower except for that rust spot on the front bumper. you can bet I am going to sand that down and repaint it though.

The hours have been put on since 06 but yeah probably not many this year since it's just June. The good news (I think) is she was just used for mowing. coming from SD farm country I'm sure they had actual tractors for the heavy lifting chores.

I will change the tranny fluid as soon as I have a chance.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looks much better!

BTW - Did you save those dealer stickers? :sidelaugh

Could they have been any bigger?!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Great looking tractor and enjoy it. slkpk

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Nice tractor, cleaned up nice. Why would you think 370 hours to be alot? I would not be concerned with that especially with a JD.
Good Luck with it.

MU

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks much better!

BTW - Did you save those dealer stickers? :sidelaugh

Could they have been any bigger?!
Yes I did save the stickers... I was able to fabricate a hood cover with them and still had enough left over to patch the hole in the shed roof :)

Nice tractor, cleaned up nice. Why would you think 370 hours to be alot? I would not be concerned with that especially with a JD.
Good Luck with it.

MU
I don’t know, I just thought it seemed like a lot of hours for a three year old machine. The price was pretty cheap (comparatively) I figured it was due to the amount of hours on her.

Lookin' good Greyform, its now your Avatar!! :congrats:
Cool! Thanks :)

Thanks Slkpk and KiethB78

·
Registered
90 Posts
Great machine! It looks new!
Are you going to leave those belt guards off the top of the deck? I'm thinking of removing mine because they're such a grass catcher and I think would heat up the spindles. Also, I don't think you can service that transmission on the x320, at least not on mine. If you do change the fluid, please post how you did it.
Thanks!
rich

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Rich,

The belt guard is off on that side because of the bagger pully. It is still on the other side.

I was thinking I would use the pump method to get the fluid out of the tranny.

Here is Bob's method

Although My tractor looks like it will be easier to get to the tranny vent plug

Hello. Thanks for all the valuable info on the trans. I have a JD LT160 w/16h Kohler engine & just turned 200h last week. Purchased at a JD dealer in 2002. I've had no problems & have replaced no parts yet. The sealed pulleys all look fine on last inspection.

I decided to change my trans fluid after reading about many problems with the hydrostatic transmissions out there. Glad i did! The fluid was wore & low. Here is how i changed out my fluid. I hope this will help some of you with L series(not sure with x series) in completing the task without having to pull the whole transmission! I've also included a few photos.

1) Pull the left rear wheel (floor jack for support with wood)
2) Remove the gas tank (2 lower bolts & 1 bolt bracket on left side)

*You now have complete access to the top of the trans.

3) Clean off top of trans around vent/fill hole (completely)
4) Remove vent cap & plug(plug maybe very tight at first)
5) Pump out trans & refill using Hydrostatic Trans fluid from JD ($4/qt)
6) Replace vent plug/cap....That's it!

*Takes about an hour. I used a SeaSense 12v Oil Changer to do the pump job. I purchased it on ebay last year. It uses a very small 1/4" inlet tube which was extremely helpful here b/c it allows you to insert the tube right to the bottom of the trans case. I was able to remove most of the fluid. Removed around a quart & filled 1q 5oz. I'm not sure how many models will have this access area after removing the fuel tank, but the LT160 did. :trink39:

Attachments

·
Registered
812 Posts
Greyform, I looked long and hard at my x320 transaxle and I think pulling it and letting it drain would be the way to go. I am not that mechanically inclined but I don't think it would take somebody who is to do that. Just take detailed notes with digital photos of what you take off and put back on same way. Pull a few bolts, remove a belt, and remove a few cotter pins and there you go, it's out. Do the reverse to put back. You will have to bleed the lines sort of speak but should be several here who could help with that. A few of the L series owners did this and took all of two hours. Who knows, the k58 may be easier. Again,l I am not speaking from experience, just doesn't look that hard. Unfortunately for you, you would be the first to do this that I have read with the K58. Hopefully it will be successful and you can get a sticky posted with your detailed instructions!

Regarding the pump, I read somewhere that the transaxles have two seperate chambers and you won't get all the oil out with a pump. Don't know. Maybe email TT, who have always been quick to respond, and ask if the K58 is designed where "in theory" a pump would get most of the oil out, especially if you jacked up front end somehow. It would help to know if it gathers in a pan or on the bottom when not in use. We all wish you luck and look forward to your results. As far as x3xx owners go, you will be the man to watch since you have a machine that has some hours on it but not too many in my opinion either. Many LXs with the sealed K62 out there with many more hours on them. I saw one on machinefinder with over 1000. Guy posted a write up on epinions on his LX288 and used it commercially for two years. Logged in over 600 hours in that time. Not one problem. Now that is a mower getting used!

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
:congrats: Wow, it sure did clean up good and best of luck on the tranny oil change out :fing32: .

:thanku: for the pics !

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Grasshopper,

I took a look at the vent plug last night and it's right there very easy to get to I just have to remove a bracket that is right in front of it, four bolts and I'm there.

That pump method just looks real easy. You're right I won't get all of the old fluid out, but a couple trips around the yard and re-drain and refill and I'll have most of it.

What I'll really be looking for is color, and foreign material (like metal). If it's just a little discolored, I think I will be fine.

If it looks burnt, I will give serious thought to replacing it this winter when I can tear it down and replace it without having to use it any time soon.

My buddy has a full machine shop so I will probably tear it down there.

Jim, Thanks for the comments :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
That X320 looks so much better without the powerflow bagger on that it isn't even funny. Man I hate those things. They just look like something that should be surgically removed. Now, the non powered baggers aren't nearly that bad.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I will probably try the pump first as well just to see how successful it is. Yes, I agreee it is so much simpler that way and if you do it a few times in a short period you should have displaced or diluted most of the oil that you didn't get the first time. I don't plan on doing this for four more years anyways and I am sure by then somebody will have a report on what is the easiest or best. Let us know how much fluid you get out first time around. It takes 2.4 qts I believe. Eventually you may find a spare or excess K58 as used in the X360 that has the resevoir and drain plug. That would be the way to go! Enjoy your tractor, I do mine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Looks awesome. Lots of elbow grease I'm sure:congrats:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That X320 looks so much better without the powerflow bagger on that it isn't even funny. Man I hate those things. They just look like something that should be surgically removed. Now, the non powered baggers aren't nearly that bad.
I agree, but regardless if it works when I need it too I can live with the ugly for the short duration it will be on there :)

I will probably try the pump first as well just to see how successful it is. Yes, I agreee it is so much simpler that way and if you do it a few times in a short period you should have displaced or diluted most of the oil that you didn't get the first time. I don't plan on doing this for four more years anyways and I am sure by then somebody will have a report on what is the easiest or best. Let us know how much fluid you get out first time around. It takes 2.4 qts I believe. Eventually you may find a spare or excess K58 as used in the X360 that has the resevoir and drain plug. That would be the way to go! Enjoy your tractor, I do mine.
I will check in with the local marine shop and see if they carry the pump otherwise I found the one Bob used online for $25.00. I'm really curious how that fluid looks.

Thanks for the comment shadow1961, yeah there was a bit of elbow grease involved lol the wife was giving me crap about how much time I have put into that tractor.

I love that home maintenance kit, very cool to have everything you need in one box. and man that fuel filter looked bad.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts