My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Built my first keezer about two years ago and started brewing extract kits about a year back.

Version 1, White with 4 Perlick 630 SS faucets, 3 micromatic regulators, 19" drip tray, temp controller and light on front of freezer rewired to light up one the compressor is running.

Version 2 Black slightly bigger, 4 intertap flow control SS faucets, 4 micromatic regulators, 19" drip tray, temp controller same, insulated like V1 and with these faucets there is a screw on tip for ball lock connector, stout tip, etc. As well all the connectors are MFL so I can put on either ball lock connectors for home brew kegs or a standard sanke keg tap. Buddies and I bought a keg of Fiddle Head IPA and transferred it into 3 corny kegs to split it and the cost. I can fit 6 cornys and the 20lb co2 inside the fridge plus tons of other storage for bottles/cans.

And so then I brewed with a buddy and learned about the equipment I may want. Starting out with extract keeps the equipment costs down to a degree.
Megapot 1.2 10 gallon
25 foot 1/2" copper wort chiller
Bayou classic 220,000 btu propane burner (same burner as edemental without the SS shielding)
A few Kegco glass wide mouth 7 gallon carboys
1/2 auto siphon for quick transfers
Craigslist score of 200+ grolsch bottles free
Heaters due to frozen cold basement
Home made tTemp controllers
and tons more I'm forgetting.

No brew day is complete without brew dog

Let's talk beers. I'm still learning with each brew. :trink39:

Attachments

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Uh oh, am I on a dry forum? haahahahaha c'mon guys say something. Even if you tell me I am over the top.

·
Administrator
12,571 Posts
I wish I could get a beer down, just not my thing. Enjoy the brewing, looks like you've got a nice set up over there. I bet you'll be very popular on Super Bowl Sunday!:trink39:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here's my three tap kegerator. I'm down to two taps since we just moved to our dream house/property December 15th. The left is my wife's Strawberry Wheat, Center is my Foreign Extra Stout. I typically brew Pale Ales, IPA's, Pilsner's, and Vienna Lager's. Those are my favorite so of course they're all gone. At the last house I always had several kegs in the pipeline.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is my Grainfather for small batches, along with a sparge water heater and two 6.5 gallon SS Brewtech Fermentors. For the time it takes to brew a single batch with the Grainfather I can brew a double batch with my propane setup, so I barely use it. For double batches I split the wort between the two fermentors if my Speidel is full. I can also use two different yeasts for experimentation.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is how I brew 90% of my batches now. I batch sparge and keep it simple, I've had pumps, counter flow chillers and all sorts of expensive gadgets, KISS is the best and most consistent. Blichman propane burner, SS Brewtech 20 gallon kettle, Jaded Brewing King Cobra immersion chiller, homemade Coleman Extreme mash tun with stainless ball valve, and a BrewBag filter for the mashtun. I use Beersmith 2.0 for my recipes, and Brun Water for water profiles. I use distilled water or RO water and build my water profile from scratch. I have scales, thermometer's, acids for pH adjustment, salts and minerals.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry for the sideways pics, they're orientated correctly on my computer. I'm looking forward to brewing again once we're settled in. My brewing equipment is in my walk out basement now. I have a TV, fireplace, and a nice patio where you walk out of the basement. Here's some views from my new backyard.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Very nice keezer Bill, now that I have some space I intend to build one for dispensing. I actually bought mine off Amazon all set up for ball lock kegs. I have a Sanke tap with MFL swivel connections so I can swap in commercial sixtels. I might pick a few up this weekend since I haven't had time to brew.

·
Super Moderator
33,720 Posts
Used to drink more beer (especially in Germany!!) but probably haven't had any alcohol in 2 years. I would say it's going to cost you a couple of garden tractors to keep up with that hobby! Both of you have some impressive equipment for hobbyists. I also like the fermentation guard dog!

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is how I brew 90% of my batches now. I batch sparge and keep it simple, I've had pumps, counter flow chillers and all sorts of expensive gadgets, KISS is the best and most consistent. Blichman propane burner, SS Brewtech 20 gallon kettle, Jaded Brewing King Cobra immersion chiller, homemade Coleman Extreme mash tun with stainless ball valve, and a BrewBag filter for the mashtun. I use Beersmith 2.0 for my recipes, and Brun Water for water profiles. I use distilled water or RO water and build my water profile from scratch. I have scales, thermometer's, acids for pH adjustment, salts and minerals.
Got any pics of how you sparge on that setup?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Got any pics of how you sparge on that setup?
Not that I could find, I don’t fly sparge, I batch sparge. After the mash I drain the wort into buckets. I’ll have the calculated sparge water heated up in my boil kettle to 180ish. I drain maybe half the sparge water into a bucket and pour it into the mash tun. After stirring a bit and letting it sit a few minutes I drain into another bucket. I add the rest of the sparge water to the mash and repeat. When I’m done I add all the wort to the boil kettle. Once it’s boiling I follow the hop schedule for the recipe. IMO fly sparging is completely unnecessary at the homebrew level. I typically make 11.5 gallons to fill two 5 gallon kegs after grub and yeast cake loss.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Joe.. you need to plant some hops. Great info and equipment. I've done only extract so far. We are moving to NC, and I'll likely start planting hops etc. Then move up to a grain setup to brew properly. My batches are currently 5 gallon in a 10 gallon pot. We all know that boil over is possible in any sized kettle lol.

Have you ever looked up RaspberryPints - Digital Tap List I considered flow meters to go full boat on it.

Craigslist netted me over 200 swing top grolsch bottles and yet I can't get myself to bottle when I have kegs hanging around. CL also hooked me up with $20 kegs so I own 14 of them.

All my connections are MFL and I have a couple of sanke's with them as well. Any time I decide to drop a half barrel in, it's a quick connection. I recently brewed a Heddy Topper clone and the blow off tube was bubbling in another fermenter of water like crazy.

My neighbor bought the beginners kit off one of the online places. Then he brewed on the kitchen stove, and wife bought him a burner to brew outside. I will use the Deere and cart to tow my stuff over and we brew side by side now.

Good times.. but I need to step up my game soon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not that I could find, I don’t fly sparge, I batch sparge. After the mash I drain the wort into buckets. I’ll have the calculated sparge water heated up in my boil kettle to 180ish. I drain maybe half the sparge water into a bucket and pour it into the mash tun. After stirring a bit and letting it sit a few minutes I drain into another bucket. I add the rest of the sparge water to the mash and repeat. When I’m done I add all the wort to the boil kettle. Once it’s boiling I follow the hop schedule for the recipe. IMO fly sparging is completely unnecessary at the homebrew level. I typically make 11.5 gallons to fill two 5 gallon kegs after grub and yeast cake loss.
Great information.

I did the same size batches (all grain) and fly sparged in a large Gott cooler--the kind you drink from. Worked well but you had to make sure not to compact the grain. Just enough sparge but not too much. I never had a problem with grain compaction but I was always watching for a problem.

This was quite a few years ago. I still have all my equipment but haven't brewed in years. Too easy to pour a cocktail. And I didn't have room until a couple years ago.

Funny I mention not having room. The best way I found to brew was to use my pickup. I put a couple 2x12's across the top of the bed rails. Counting that level, the tailgate level and the ground level I had three levels. Worked perfect. Just really needed a place inside to store the carboys. I did ales and fermented at room temps. Most of my learning came from Papazian's book. Cleanliness is next to godliness. :tango_face_smile_bi

I always bumped-up my yeast a couple times prior to pitching. I used a Chillzilla for cooling the wort. Just had to slow the wort flow to attain the temp I was looking for so I could pitch the yeast when done cooling.

Really enjoyed having cornelius kegs on tap.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Great information.

I did the same size batches (all grain) and fly sparged in a large Gott cooler--the kind you drink from. Worked well but you had to make sure not to compact the grain. Just enough sparge but not too much. I never had a problem with grain compaction but I was always watching for a problem.

This was quite a few years ago. I still have all my equipment but haven't brewed in years. Too easy to pour a cocktail. And I didn't have room until a couple years ago.

Funny I mention not having room. The best way I found to brew was to use my pickup. I put a couple 2x12's across the top of the bed rails. Counting that level, the tailgate level and the ground level I had three levels. Worked perfect. Just really needed a place inside to store the carboys. I did ales and fermented at room temps. Most of my learning came from Papazian's book. Cleanliness is next to godliness. :tango_face_smile_bi

I always bumped-up my yeast a couple times prior to pitching. I used a Chillzilla for cooling the wort. Just had to slow the wort flow to attain the temp I was looking for so I could pitch the yeast when done cooling.

Really enjoyed having cornelius kegs on tap.
You don't have to worry about grain compaction or vorlauf, when using a brew bag in the mash tun instead of a braided pipe.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lots of good info as I know I'll be heading to grain in about a year.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You don't have to worry about grain compaction or vorlauf, when using a brew bag in the mash tun instead of a braided pipe.
This is similar to mine but mines made of brass and I use it in a big Gott cooler. Worked well for me. I hate change. Really need to get back into brewing...

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is similar to mine but mines made of brass and I use it in a big Gott cooler. Worked well for me. I hate change. Really need to get back into brewing...

Same here, I bet I brewed more than the legal limit last year. Moving really put that hobby on the back burner.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts