My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
48 8N Daddy
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, it's been since about last September since I've been in here but mostly because my tractor hasn't been running. The trans/hydro oil got contaminated so I had to replce it this weekend. I do have another problem and I know I've read about the same test procedures on here before but when I try to do the search too much stuff comes up. Can anyone point me to the procedure for testing the starter system. I replaced both the solenoid and the starter switch (button) but it still does nothing so I need to trace it all the way through.

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Try using a pair of jumper cables directly to the starter to make sure it does turn. Then if it does try cleaning the housing so that it gets a GOOD ground, a lot of times rust will build up not allowing the starter to get the ground especially if the battery ground is not bolted to the main casting of the tractor.

·
Registered
560 Posts
does the motor turn by hand? hope she aint locked up. I have also had to rock them in gear a bit to free them up, they kinda bind up on the fly wheel. is it making any noise at all? I also have had the battery wires go bad inside the coating were ya can't see it. as stated above, try running jumper cables right to the starter.

·
48 8N Daddy
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, I'll give it all a try this weekend. I'm normally pretty anal about my equipment but I sort of tore my achilles tendon off a while back and it really put a hitch in my giddyup but finally getting to where I can move around a little bit so time to get it straight again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts