My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after weeks of deciding if I should buy the little suitcase weights I decided to just use a front weight off a JD4020 we used to have. I fab'd up a simple bracket, some fresh paint, and voila! 125ish lbs for free!

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! best thing about it is I have one more weight in the shed I can stack on this one. I think that this will be enough for my 44" blower and keeping the back end on the ground when the blower is raised. I think that im going to pull it off and paint the back side tomorrow too.

·
Super Moderator
33,821 Posts
Looks sorta like the "tombstone" from the movie Deathrace 2000! :ROF

Nice job!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Also gives you some protection to the rear of your tractor in case you accidentaly back into something during blowing!! Wouldn't recomend trying that theory though....

·
Registered
258 Posts
Excellent fab and mod. It looks great!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Cornhusker I remember those weight's well I grew up on a 3020 & 4000 and it was quite a chore taking them off or putting them back on. Glad to see you reusing them and not letting them go to waste. BILL

·
Registered
602 Posts
I don't think you're going to need anymore weight. I have four suitcase weights to offset my 44 blower and it might be a tad much. You'll know when the steering gets light. JD recommends two suitcase weights. I haven't used mine enough to be sure but I'll be watching for it this winter.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was gonna say, do you have the quick release in case someone is following too close? :D

If it's something you already had, still technically not "free" but repurposing is good!
lmao! Thats what im going to call it from now on...."The Tombstone!"

....Technically I didnt buy it, grandpa did when he bought the tractor in the 60's. either way re-purposing is definitely in the blood. you should see the front mount thatcher I built

·
Registered
483 Posts
Regardless, it looks like it fits well on there and will suit your needs well too!

On an old Farmall A I have, I have three cast iron counterweights I borrowed from an old elevator from a building being demolished. They've got to weigh 200lbs a piece! Best part was they were free (wish I'd taken them all but the scrapper would have gotten mad I'm sure). Highly recommend them to people who need large weights, if you can find them!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Regardless, it looks like it fits well on there and will suit your needs well too!

On an old Farmall A I have, I have three cast iron counterweights I borrowed from an old elevator from a building being demolished. They've got to weigh 200lbs a piece! Best part was they were free (wish I'd taken them all but the scrapper would have gotten mad I'm sure). Highly recommend them to people who need large weights, if you can find them!
If those are the old style IH weights those are worth a lot of money!

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
Holy crap!:swow: this look like a bulletproof shield,,, you know the gray Aston Martin,,,,, :fing32:

Seriously it's looking good. :thThumbsU

1 - 18 of 18 Posts