1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
656 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310209589124&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I picked up one of these bad boys for the top of my cab for winter plowing. It has a magnetic base and puts off a heck of a lot of light. It has a setting for constantly on or flashing. Hopefully it will work well for me this winter. I almost got the green ones, but decided to get red instead.
Because you chose red, you'd better mount the light so it is ONLY visible from the rear.

Flashing amber is legal for anyone to use as a warning light that can be seen from any angle, but red, blue, and (in some places) green are definitely a no-no for civilian use when they can be seen all the way around a vehicle that's on the road. I presume you are on the road from time to time when plowing like I am. I use a very bright rotating amber beacon on my tractor when doing that.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Because you chose red, you'd better mount the light so it is ONLY visible from the rear.

Flashing amber is legal for anyone to use as a warning light that can be seen from any angle, but red, blue, and (in some places) green are definitely a no-no for civilian use when they can be seen all the way around a vehicle that's on the road. I presume you are on the road from time to time when plowing like I am. I use a very bright rotating amber beacon on my tractor when doing that.
My cousin is a detective and she pulled me over in my yard and clued me in on this while I was plowing my driveway :fing32: She just said mount it in the rear or buy another lens for it.

I'd be interested to see what others have mounted on there machines and who they buy from. Some of these lights can go for a bundle.

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in a small town that does not even have a police department, so I think I will be ok with the red one.

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
Being a police officer here in Pa, I thought I would chime in. All states are different. In the South the color of authority is blue for police. Here in Pa amber is the color for construction vehicles using warning lights, volunteer fire fighters use blue lights, the police are the only ones allowed to use red and blue in combination. Plow vehicles use amber as well. If you live in a small town with no police force I would not worry about it. Plus, if you are on your own property and not the street, its not enforceable anyway.

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input miller. I am actually looking forward to plowing this winter with the cab.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts