My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Denis
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I got this old 16 HP Briggs running, I need to buy a battery for it. Since it's got one of those 3 amp DC/5amp AC alternators and only uses the battery to run the starter, what battery would you recommend. I'm looking for the lowest cost option here. It's going in a Simplicity 3414S. Thanks.

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
what he said. but the cheapest? I tried that.
200cca = no.
300cca = yes.

cca = cold cranking amps. the 200 was too cheap on my 13.5hp briggs. 300 is comfy and lower stress, less worry.

p.s. they want your old battery as a core charge.

p.p.s. = a second 300 cca cranks my 16hp Kohler, no problems - even when I forget to "turn the gas on". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I think mine is something like 490cca. It is a regular automotive battery. Heck with the 15amp charger on mine I can lite a baseball field:thThumbsU:sidelaugh

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
You must have a separate little trailer for all that technology. Wouldn't an electric lawn mower be easier?

:biglaugh: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I only really use the lights in winter. I run an extra light on the back and will mount a new one on the front... I had a light on front but I mounted the glass windshield and the wiper took the hole...

Attachments

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
wow, that's a cute rig. Do you get heat in the cab? How's that work?

That weather looks pretty Canajun, eh. In fact you are almost as close to the North Pole as I am, depends what part of Wisconsin. I'm near north shore of Lake Ontario an hour or so east of T.O.; which kinda lines up with the middle of Wisconsin I think. (latitude). I used to live in Alberta; winter there starts a month earlier and ends a month later. I was real happy to return to Southern Ontario. And not only for the weather. There's 99.9% fewer "c'boys" also. Used to head west into the mountains every year when 'Stampede' time came around. I do miss camping in high country in the mountains; but they privatized all that. What used to cost $7 now costs probably 40 and you need a reservation = ?. Ruined it. Firewood used to be free - used to sit up all night watching the northern lights. good old days. Everything is different in high country; trees, birds, critters, bears, temps right at freeze point in summer at night, hot during day, thin air for hiking, make you sleep like baby. Instant shower by jumping in a mountain river pool for 10 seconds with running shoes on so could get out fast. Used to dirt bike out there too. could camp anywhere with a bike. great bike road from Banff to Radium, winding by the river, for miles, incredible scenery, riding thru a postcard. time travel. sometimes I think I want another bike.

Way off course here. ;) I saw on the news tonight, I don't know, they launched some telescope hi tek wowee thing into space, like a probe, I guess, looking for life on other planets. the news said there were a whole bunch of planets about the size of Earth, way out there, that they didn't know existed - but this really blew me away - they said it would take something like 10,000 light years to get there. I just thought wow, space is so incredibly huge, and we are so incredibly tiny on that scale. I tried to get my head around that kind of distance; it was a strange feeling. For a minute or so, I wanted to study astronomy. This kind of shatters any notion of what is reality. Nothing new really. Nothing at all for some unimaginable distance; all around us. Kinda makes my brain squirm a little. It's like a part of star trek that I missed somehow. Then I thought; what direction? Which way is up?
rambling on here................ .

·
Coach John
106 Posts
I vote Walmart also. Just got one for $25 to power my 6216, which is "under construction". Batteries are made by Johnson Control, and I think was 300+ CCA. BT looking forward to using my cab this year, as was part of that 6216 WB package a bit back. Great day to all.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Cabs are where it is at when its cold and snowing. Not to mention the amount of snow the blower moves away and towards you. I need to sew one flap on my cap, will do it before winter. My dream is to get a 4 some of the led lites. They are something like 10 times brighter and use 10-15% of the juice. Problem is they are almost 200 bucks a piece. Hopefully the price starts falling! With those I really could lite up a baseball stadium! http://www.grote.com/product.php?product_number=63821-5&x=9&y=13
http://grote.com/prodcat/attachments/Trilliant36InfoSheet.pdf

·
Coach John
106 Posts
I made a stainless steel bracket to mount on the front hood for lites, above the snow blower. Then could angle the lites down a bit in front of the blower. Just two fog lites from local auto parts store. I never thought (20+ years ago) about amp, and stuff. The 5200 could take a large car battery in back, so never worried. Have to rethink this winter and the 6200.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was able to squeze a 480 CCA in my Landlord 2010. I now have no issues for lack of power :)

I picked it up at Fleet Farm for about $55 on sale.

Doug

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cabs are where it is at when its cold and snowing. Not to mention the amount of snow the blower moves away and towards you. I need to sew one flap on my cap, will do it before winter. My dream is to get a 4 some of the led lites. They are something like 10 times brighter and use 10-15% of the juice. Problem is they are almost 200 bucks a piece. Hopefully the price starts falling! With those I really could lite up a baseball stadium! http://www.grote.com/product.php?product_number=63821-5&x=9&y=13
http://grote.com/prodcat/attachments/Trilliant36InfoSheet.pdf
They are down to $110 each. So now you have no excuse not to go buy them ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Grote-Trilliant-36-LED-WhiteLight-Conversion-Bulb-Lamp-/150471922183

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I had a pic of a everstart 280 CCA on my phone for 19.99 and went into auto zone and the gave me one plus 10 percent of to beat them.
I use a bigger one on my Sierra for Winter Snow removal I think 430 CCA the biggest I could get for it ,it gets near 0 here w/ -30 wind chills and I don't want to be bothered w/ a weak battery under those condtions.

·
Denis
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended up with a 275CCA battery from Walmart for about $30. It was the biggest "small" battery they had, but since I keep my tractors in my heated shop I shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Coldr, one thing I noticed is that the lawn and garden batteries are just not built as well. Notice the difference in weight? The seperation between the plates is not done as well either. I think the vibration of a tractor is what does them in in short order. I replaced my battery every year until I bought the automotive type. Since then it has been running for about 6 or 7 years I think...

·
Coach John
106 Posts
Just to add more questions to the mix, I have a soft cab, and have not put it on the tractore yet. But if you have to jump the battery, or charge, can you lift the seat? Or have others put "tails" on the battery which your able to connect the charger too?

Just thinking of white seat time.... Thanks.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
My 7117 battery is under the hood. My guess is that you are stuck if its under the seat. Another reason to go bigger!!!

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
On my tractor it seems there is no room for a car battery - under hood beside gas tank. I never tried to squeeze one in.

·
Coach John
106 Posts
Moving from my 5200 to that 6200 from West Bend I thought was big enough. Guess I still have to super size, "for a buck?"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts