My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 years ago I bought my oldest son a DeWalt 20 volt hedge trimmer and he really likes it. I talked to him earlier this morning and he can't get the FS55 Stihl I gave him running. It was one I bought not running, I cleaned the carb and gave it to him. He has a small 1/2 acre subdivision lot and it only takes him 15 or 20 minutes to do all his weedeating. He said DeWalt made a 20 trimmer but I'm afraid it might not have enough power plus I've read that Dewalt is having some reliability problems with them (Amazon Reviews). Who here uses battery powered trimmers and what do you recommend. I'll probably get him something for Christmas.
Cannon

·
We're all friends here
14,287 Posts
For years I have been using an 18v B&D trimmer with no problems at all. Recently, I started buying their 20v series hedge trimmer, blower, chain saw and just got their 20v pole saw, which I haven't had time to try. Based on my experience with those tools, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the trimmer if my current one quits.

·
Blank Space
3,019 Posts
There's another thread on this that was posted not too long ago. I don't remember which brand was being discussed but as I recall, they were talking about 40V units. I have a Ryobi 18V that works fine for light duty trimming around the house and walkways. I'm not sure it would handle a long fence line with tougher grasses.

·
LBAD Victim
981 Posts
I just bought a Masterforce 20v FlexPower trimmer from Menards, and I love it! It is very similar in size to the DeWalt, but is slightly smaller and lighter.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I have a 40V Core (now owned by MTD), I've used it for several years with good results. When it or it's batteries give up, I'll go with Oregon 40V since I have an Oregon 40V chainsaw & pole-saw with several batteries.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Dewalt 20v is the way to go. Iv had mine for about 2 years now and I love it. I too have a 1/2 acre suburban lot and in about 20 min my weed whacking is done. This thing has handled everything I can toss at it. The bump head is a bit cumbersome Iv been thinking’s out changing mine to a push feed head. Other than that nothing but good out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I use a 40V Ryobi that a friend gave me after it quit working. He knew I knew electrical (electrical engineer). I pulled it apart, moved wires around, put it back together, and it ran for a while. After repeating this process four times, I decided to take my soldering iron to it to solve the problem. I assumed a broken connection, but found the main power leads to the motor had been installed at an angle putting the ends too close to the power drive semiconductor heat sink. Once I unsoldered and straightened the wires, it has run flawlessly for long periods, including switching to the blower head. The blower uses more of the battery than trimming. Trimming around a friend’s 3 acre lawn is a breeze, including the tall weeds along her fence line.

I believe the higher voltage units are better, since the current is lower to run the motor. The ONLY thing I wish is that an extra battery wouldn’t cost the same as the trimmer with battery and charger.

·
Red Plaid is Timeless
956 Posts
I have a Milwaukee trimmer and it works great. Plus the high capacity battery fits all my other 18v Milwaukee cordless tools. My neighbor is also pleased with his Milwaukee trimmer. I'm hoping my family will decide I need the new Milwaukee chainsaw for Christmas.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I talked to my son yesterday, the 20 year old Homelite blower i gave him 4 years ago won't crank. I found this blower that will work with the hedge trimmer battery and charger he has. https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-90-MPH-400-CFM-20-Volt-MAX-Lithium-ion-Cordless-Handheld-Leaf-Blower-Battery-and-Charger-Not-Included-DCBL720B/206812904?cm_mmc=SEM|THD|GDN|28|206812904&cm_mmc=SEM|THD|google|dynrmkt|&mid=c|dc_mtid_8903gg550522_pcrid_252695173392_pkw__pmt__product__slid_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5r7ZhZmV3gIVSUaGCh3qhgTqEAEYASACEgLdPvD_BwE It should be here this week.
I haven't made a decision on the trimmer yet but think I'll get something with more than 20 volts. It takes him about 30 min to do his trimming. I looked at the Stihl battery trimmers, they seem a little bit nose heavy but maybe they all do. I need to make a decision pretty soon.
Cannon

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I talked to my son yesterday, the 20 year old Homelite blower i gave him 4 years ago won't crank. I found this blower that will work with the hedge trimmer battery and charger he has. https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-90-MPH-400-CFM-20-Volt-MAX-Lithium-ion-Cordless-Handheld-Leaf-Blower-Battery-and-Charger-Not-Included-DCBL720B/206812904?cm_mmc=SEM|THD|GDN|28|206812904&cm_mmc=SEM|THD|google|dynrmkt|&mid=c|dc_mtid_8903gg550522_pcrid_252695173392_pkw__pmt__product__slid_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5r7ZhZmV3gIVSUaGCh3qhgTqEAEYASACEgLdPvD_BwE It should be here this week.
I haven't made a decision on the trimmer yet but think I'll get something with more than 20 volts. It takes him about 30 min to do his trimming. I looked at the Stihl battery trimmers, they seem a little bit nose heavy but maybe they all do. I need to make a decision pretty soon. B
Cannon
I find the Ryobi to be balanced well, maybe a little nose heavy with the blower head.
Run time was enough to trim around our entire church property.
Most of all, it eliminates mixed gas, which almost never gets used up.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I decided to get the Dewalt 20 volt trimmer with battery and charger. That will give him 3 tools (Hedge trimmer, blower and string trimmer) that all use the same 2 batteries. I was a little worried about the 20 volt trimmer lasting long enough but with 2 batteries he should be OK.
Cannon

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
That is the way to do it. Lots of tools that use the same batt. I'm heavily infested with B&D 18V tools. Recently I bought a B&D 20V hard surface blower and a chainsaw off FB. NIB but no warranty of course. $75 for both. I mostly got the chainsaw for the 2.0 ah batt. The normal batt is 1.5 ah. I sold the chainsaw without the batt for $30 so I have about $20 in the 2.0 batt and charger. The 2.0 batt in the blower will usually do my whole drive which is about 100' that needs to be blown.

I found a batt adapter on evilbay that allows me to use the 20V batts in my 18V tools. I have 18V string trimmers, sawsalls , drills, sanders, circular saws, hex drivers. When using lithium batts in NiCad tools you MUST have the discipline to stop the second you notice the performance dropping off just the smallest amount. The NiCad tools don't have the auto-shutoff protective circuitry that the lithium tools have. You can find the 18V tools on CL and FB and thrift stores for very little money. Normally $10 each or less which is why I have so many extras :).

Lately there have been lots of cordless tools of all brands on CL and FB for cheap. Most are nib bought from auctions. No warranty but the price is definitely right.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I forgot about the Ryobi 1/2'' square drive impact I recently bought off FB. $65 with 1.5 lithium batt and charger. Plenty of power for lug nuts or PTO clutch bolts. 3 power settings so not much chance of overtightening. Ryobi did something smart by not obsoleting their older stuff. They have been doing their "One+" system for quite awhile. Used to be nicads but now are lithium. New batts have the protective circuitry built in so they auto-shutoff even in the older NiCad One+ tools.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I found several of these sorts of videos on YouTube. I'm having fun with this but you do need to be careful when messing with lithium batts. This isn't for people that hook up their car or lawnmower batts backwards.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Both the hedge trimmer and the string trimmer come with 20V MAX 5.0Ah Lithium Ion Batteries. I bought the blower without a battery or charger. These batteries are expensive so I hope they last. I bought a Mikita 18v LI drill/driver set about 10 years ago and it still works fine.
Cannon

·
Green is where it's at.
94 Posts
I'll be interested in hearing the longevity of the DeWalt string trimmer.
I'm on 3 platforms for various cordless tools ~ DeWalt, Makita, and Milwaukee.
I have a 20v DeWalt hedge trimmer that I picked up a summer or so back after retiring my old corded trimmer. I like it but I don't love it. It works better than my old corded one for sure, but what I don't like about it is the lack of trigger lock on it. I have a bush in the corner of a fence that I awkwardly have to trim and I quickly realized how sucky it is w/out that trigger lock like my old corded one was equipped with. Had I known that, I would have passed on the DeWalt 20v trimmer. If I find that either of the other 2 have a cordless unit w/a trigger lock (haven't had time to look) the DeWalt will be put up for sale.

At any rate, while a battery powered hedge trimmer is all I need for the hedges I use it for, I'm not sure on a cordless string trimmer. I currently have a Stihl 2-stroke and when I use it, I'm hard on it. I use it for weed whipping and flip it over for edging too. It doesn't usually give me grief other than maybe the string breaking off to where I gotta stop and fix it a bit. Not a huge deal when it happens. I wish I had a buddy/neighbor close enough that had one or three battery powered units to test out around here to see how it would hold up at length though.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
At any rate, while a battery powered hedge trimmer is all I need for the hedges I use it for, I'm not sure on a cordless string trimmer.
I'm not either. I think the string trimmer will receive more use and abuse than the hedge trimmer or blower. I'll try to remember to report on it after next summer.
Cannon

·
Registered
137 Posts
My wife just bought me a Kobal 40v hedge trimmer from Lowe’s. The majority of the reviews are very good, and considering I have just a 1/4 acre lot it should do fine. I do have a lot of shrubs though, so after Christmas I’ll try it out. Wife says it has to go under the tree. SMH.
I already have a Kobalt 40v pole saw and plan to use that battery for the hedge trimmer. When I can catch the batteries on sale I’ll buy one more.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts