My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last few time's cutting when I start my tractor the battery light will stay on for 3-5 minutes, never did this before. I checked the battery terminals and cleaned them they are clean and tight. Awhile back when I checked the water in the battery it was a little low so I put some in.Could I have a bad cell? If I have a bad cell would the light still go out?

·
Registered
310 Posts
If it is starting up without a boost your battery is probably fine.
I think that light just tell you the voltage is low. Could be dirty connections or alternator going out.

·
10K and Climbin!
12,446 Posts
Do you have a DC volt meter? Test the battery voltage before and after starting (should be higher.. If it isn't either your battery is getting bad or the charging system needs attention) to determine if your charging system is working correctly and that light is false.. :goodl:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I had a similar problem on my gt275 and it was the voltage regulator. They are about $60 at the dealer. If that doesn't solve the problem it could be the stator which is about $200 from what I was told. Voltage Regulators are a very common problem when they are 10 plus years old, but I'm sure some fail earlier.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the same problem with my 318. I recently had the dash tower all apart with the battery taken out and a lot of other electrical connections disconnected. I had to remove my power steering valve. Before I reassembled everything, I painted all the sheet metal. There is one wire that is attached to the negative battery cable that has circular connector on the end as if it should be connected to a screw or bolt. I attached it to one of the screws that hold the battery tray in, (forgot where it orginally was attached) but since I painted it there is no longer a good metal to metal contact there. I am thinking that this is probably a weak or bad ground connection and that is why my battery light comes on for a few minutes. In addition, my battery seems to be expelling (boiling?) water too, but I did top it off before I put it back in. Perhaps I put in too much water.

I did not have any issues with the light coming on before I took everything apart. Where is the voltage regulator and stator on a 318? Is it in the black delay box?

Mark

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mark, batteries will boil if they are charged at too high of a voltage - same testing applies.

What is the voltage with the engine off?
What is the voltage while the engine is cranking (good way to test a weak battery)?
What is the voltage with the tractor running?

Not having a good ground could well be a part of the situation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts