My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I have a GX345 and just replaced the belt on my single stage snowblower. Old one was stretched out. Now the battery light comes on as soon as I engage the snowblower. Its like the increased tension is now triggering the light. Could it be a weak battery? Voltage regulator? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

·
3,437 Posts
See if you damaged a wire to the PTO when you changed the belt...you might have a bare wire touching the chassis

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will take a look in the morning....maybe I hit a wire when i took the snowblower out or when I put it back in.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Or the belt isn't tight enough... I had an Impala that I replaced the alternator on, but didn't get it tight enough (it was an old school "pry & tighten at the same time" kind. It was tight enough to turn off the alternator light and not squeal, but loose enough to not put out enough juice to handle the headlights....

·
blinged out
1,176 Posts
as suggested check the pto wiring and being all good, I'd put a voltmeter on the battery and check reading while throttle applied then engage pto and check how much voltage drop. at least then you know it's actually losing voltage and not a shorted wire under the dash appling both lights at once! if the pto was shorted badly should blow a fuse, you'd think!

·
Registered
543 Posts
as suggested check the pto wiring and being all good, I'd put a voltmeter on the battery and check reading while throttle applied then engage pto and check how much voltage drop. at least then you know it's actually losing voltage and not a shorted wire under the dash appling both lights at once! if the pto was shorted badly should blow a fuse, you'd think!
x2

However, it seems a coincidence and you will need to troubleshoot to see if it's the VR or the battery. Most auto parts stores will load test a battery for free if you pull it and take it in.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Try engaging the blower without the belt on it. If the light comes on without the belt, then something is pehaps shorting in the electric clutch, or the clutch itself is just going bad, drawing too much juice. What about the battery age? Getting too weak to run the clutch? Verifying the wiring integrity of the charging system is where I'd start, followed by the battery test, then the clutch.

If you figure this out, it would be helpful to all if you could post your findings, even it down the road a ways.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I took the snowblower off and put it on again....now it works perfectly and no light. Not a clue what was causing it to come on. If it comes back on i'll report back. Thanks for everyones help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts