My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a new 310 CCA AutoCraft AGM battery in my ATV about 40 months ago. It worked fine for 36 of those months, but with the recent cold temps it has been touch and go on the starts. Last three starts involved a jumper box. I pulled it and had it tested where it showed about 128 CCA even though charged. The helpful battery tester printed the results tape and it showed in large letters "Bad - Replace". Not a surprise, the tester was operated in the hands of a battery salesman. I am disappointed in this life from a relatively expensive battery, but when I looked up typical life of an ATV battery, this one just squeezed in on the lower end of 3-5 years. I understand the charging system on an ATV is more or less designed to operate the electrics and electronics while running, and not really up to recharging the battery. And, I understand I could have probably extended the life with a trickle charger - but, the shed it is stored in is about 700 feet from electric. I hear guys have added solar trickle chargers in cases like this. Anyone have any luck with, or recommendations for a solar trickle charger.

In one of the few lucky coincidences of my life, I got an email from Advance Auto yesterday with a 25% discount on any single online purchase, including purchase online - pick up in store. So, it was relatively easy, and only slightly less painful to replace the battery and be back hauling wood in no time.

Reactions: cjet69

·
Administrator
5,552 Posts
I used one of those solar panel battery trickle chargers at my cottage to keep the golf cart battery good until spring. It was a gas cart, not electric. Just stuck the solar panel in a window....It worked OK....If I remember, I got it on sale for about $30

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
Unfortunately, Jere39, you are merely the latest of the ones that remember batteries lasting for many years and are dismayed to find out that is no longer true. Batteries manufactured and purchased today have an average life expectancy of 48 months. That is the average, which means your results can be above or below that and still fit.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
AGM batteries can have different charging needs that may or may not be compatible with the equipment they are installed in and charged with. That said, it having lasted about 5 years suggests it is not a compatibility issue.

Not sure why but I generally find that the OEM battery usually lasts longer than its replacement.

·
28 Posts
Solar charger wise I had been looking into them myself lately & have seen reviews noting that they can over charge a battery if left unattended. Some where noting that the small solar panel marketing was misleading because these companies didnt note that it would require a regulator (easy attachment roughly another 20 bucks) to keep from over charging a battery.
If a area doesnt get much sun may not have any issues, IDK.
Just something to look into.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the new battery is working fine, but the fuel leak is subject of a different thread. And, it is cold laying under that darn thing.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,094 Posts
I've found the the same thing with ATV/utility batteries. If not used a lot and not kept on trickle charger they just don't seem to last like we are used to.
Hope you get the leak figured out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts