My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Discussion Starter #1
I bought this truck new in February 2016...left over '15 with the 2.7 echo boost engine..At its age I am getting concerned that the battery will give up on me when I really need it....I am confused by ..AGM. deep cycle, Optima....any body else buy a vehicle battery recently and have any suggestions?...Thank you

Registered
I would have it tested first, there should still be some life in it.

Premium Member
Yes, just replaced the original Motorcraft battery in a 14' Fusion, so I'm betting you've got close to a year before it decides to quit. I went with a Dekka, as I refuse to buy foreign made automotive batteries from anyone anymore.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Discussion Starter #4
I know there is life left in it..I have a load tester, and it is ok,...not GOOD..but ok.....but it is almost 4 years old...I would rather buy a new one that I can depend on, rather than come out of a job in some bad neighborhood where I have to work in the middle of a 5* January day and have it not start

Premium Member
AGM or glass mat are good for rough terrain usage, they don't tend to get shaken apart, deep cycle are for applications where the battery has a relatively steady draw on it before it gets recharged like a trolling motor battery. Optimas are just plain to expensive for what you get.

Your battery probably has another couple of years in it before it is toast. Most are good for at least 5 years. I just recently replaced the battery in the old farm truck with one from Rural King, a 6 year battery for $80 and I have no doubt it will go 6 years.

I don't know how they do it but a 5 year battery generally lasts 5 years and a 3 year battery generally will last 3 years and not much more. The battery I bought is made by Exide, all but a very few batteries are made by either Exide or Johnson Controls just depends on whose name gets put on the outside.

I have found that if I keep battery maintainers on all the batteries they do last longer than those without. Even on the daily or near daily drivers.

Professional Homeowner
Replaced the at least 7 year old battery in my Mercury Mariner last weekend. Seemed like it was getting weaker and it was warning me.

I just went with a Wal-Mart barter. I鈥檝e had pretty good luck with their lawn and garden batteries, so I decided to try one of their automotive batteries. Chances are the car will rust out or die before the battery needs replacement again. Same with next set of tires it gets.

Premium Member
Correction to my post. That was a 15' Fusion. The battery I pulled was made in 2014, so I would say your intuition is likely correct if it is the original Motorcraft. It went pretty suddenly over a two day period. If concerned, start traveling with a jumper pack.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Administrator
I just replaced the battery in my truck that I installed in 2013...It tested a bit weak, would likely go another year, but winters coming. I kept the old one as it will fit in my Ford LGTs, they will take a full sized battery, so to heck with those L&G batteries.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts