My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my YT-3000 I bought an Interstate battery last January(see pix attached). I recall the salesman saying it had a 6-month warranty, which made me pause—but I bought it anyway, thinking Interstates are the best.
8 months later it’s dead as a door nail. What is the best, most durable, most reliable battery I can get for my tractor? Thanks in advance. FYI I live on Cape Cod and use the tractor as a snowplow, so I need a battery that’s good in the winter.

Attachments

·
15,000 +posts!
19,654 Posts
Any battery today no matter the brand is a gamble--they don't make em like they used too..many only have a 90 day warranty,even car & truck batteries..

A friend who used to sell Interstate batteries at his shop told the guy to come take them out after he had a few go dead days after a customer bought them,and they wouldn't recharge or hold a charge..

"Better" brand names only cost more in my opinion,I have had low buck cheap tractor batteries last as long as the "good" ones..

All you can do is get the battery with the most cold cranking amps and number of plates and hope it lasts...if you have room to put in a larger battery,I would do that--I have been able to stuff a Honda Civic battery in a few of my tractors and they outlast a lawn tractor battery by far...

Vibration and a loose hold down kills many tractor batteries,so does a "drain" if something stays on when the tractor isn't being used--a bad diode in the charging system can sap one down quickly,but still let it charge normally while your running it..

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
In these new days, just about any battery out there is a ****shoot. All of the tales of batteries lasting a decade refer to batteries made 5 years ago or more. Makes no difference what you pay for it. Average life expectancy of batteries made today is roughly 48 months. Remember, that is average over many thousands of batteries sold. You might get one of a series that lasts for that 48 months and get another of the same series lasting 2 months.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Believe it or not...Walmart....I've got 10 year old batteries in big trucks that sit for a year without being started, and start right up....no other brand will do that. I've tried them all. The lawn and garden batteries have a 1 yr warranty and return it no questions asked and get a new one...with another 1 yr warranty.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All you can do is get the battery with the most cold cranking amps and number of plates and hope it lasts...if you have room to put in a larger battery,I would do that--I have been able to stuff a Honda Civic battery in a few of my tractors and they outlast a lawn tractor battery by far...

Vibration and a loose hold down kills many tractor batteries,so does a "drain" if something stays on when the tractor isn't being used--a bad diode in the charging system can sap one down quickly,but still let it charge normally while your running it..
My current battery is wedged in there pretty tightly, so going up in size is not really an option.

·
2,608 Posts
I came across a tractor that I bought that had a walmart battery in it with a tag showing that it is about 7 years old...still load tested "GOOD"....I would never believe that from walmart except I saw it with my own eyes...I usually get emails from advance auto parts and get 20% off theirs and can count on them for 2 years...beyond that you take a chance...I did buy a battery tester and check all of them every month or so just to see if they are going bad...I don't wait for them to be dead when I go to use it...I do not believe any one gives more than 6 months on a group U1 battery

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m checking online and can’t find any warranties that run beyond 6 months. When did that happen? When I bought the tractor 8 years ago the first battery lasted about 3 years.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Most batteries are remanufactured by only a few companies now, I find the cheapest I can and they work no different then expensive ones, keep a trickle charger on them in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2,608 Posts
I’m checking online and can’t find any warranties that run beyond 6 months. When did that happen? When I bought the tractor 8 years ago the first battery lasted about 3 years.
About 6 years ago I bought a sears battery and it died in about a year....not thinking, I just went back to sears and thought I was going to get a prorated swap out...that is when I found out about it

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
It's been that way for a while. 30 days on some motorcycle, ATV, and Snowmobile batteries.

Put a toggle switch in the small power feed wire to shut the everything off. With that switch in the OFF position the only place you should have juice is the BAT terminal on the starter contactor and the battery + terminal. For some reason manufacturers want to leave stuff powered 24/7 with the ignition switched off. The low power circuit kill switch is now just as necessary as a fuel shutoff valve.

I pull the batteries from my summer equipment in the fall and winter equipment in the spring and put em on the bench in the cellar after I charge em up with a CTEK 7002 Pulse charger. The original battery in my ZTR mower is 4 years old now and the AGM batteries in my older ATVs and snowmobiles are nearing 8.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
There is no one brand that stands out as far as I can ascertain. I have gone with WalMart batteries as they are made by Johnson Controls, one of the "Big Two/Three" manufacturers. I have had them last a year, and some longer.
Two thoughts: Check the electrolyte level and keep them charged. If the level is low, add some distilled water. I charge once a month(if I remember), or on an 'as remembered' basis. So far, so good.
I doubt there is one maker that has a stellar product that outshines all the others. I think they are all focused on short term profit at the expense of customer satisfaction.

I will say that the two auto batteries I have gotten from BatteriesPlus(bulbs?), Duracell, are priced about the same as the auto parts store product, and have a 3 year free replacement warranty. Many times you can get a 10% or 15% coupon code for use ordering online for in-store pickup. They have been good to me so far, knock on formica.
For garden, I go with Wally, and look for the 'freshest' on the shelf by the date code.
tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not from US but generally the battery with the biggest CCA (cold cranking amps?) you can fit in the tractor will be best. Batteries do not like cold weather. A gel or agm (glass mat) type battery might be better (or a lithium ion battery if you have loads of $ - they are a lot smaller/lighter and withstand a lot more discharge/charge cycles).

Solar off grid use deep discharge batteries which might work better/last longer in cold weather as they are more resistant to damage due to high discharge.

Keeping tractor, or at least battery in a warm place will improve longevity (just not oven warm). If everything outdoors, make an insulating jacket for battery (around bottom as well) - just use heat resistant plastic of some sort if necessary though still needs a breather for gas escape. Make sure nothing is draining battery overnight (ie short circuits caused by worn wiring) Most circuits cut off with key in off position but not all, especially if its been modified. If something is then a cheat is to install/use a battery cut off isolator (switch) close to battery on main big power cable.

Yuasa is a good make, but maybe not available nearby.

I would go with a solar off-grid battery if it fits as probably not too hard on the wallet and should work a lot better.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
There is no one brand that stands out as far as I can ascertain. I have gone with WalMart batteries as they are made by Johnson Controls, one of the "Big Two/Three" manufacturers. I have had them last a year, and some longer.
Two thoughts: Check the electrolyte level and keep them charged. If the level is low, add some distilled water. I charge once a month(if I remember), or on an 'as remembered' basis. So far, so good.
I doubt there is one maker that has a stellar product that outshines all the others. I think they are all focused on short term profit at the expense of customer satisfaction.

I will say that the two auto batteries I have gotten from BatteriesPlus(bulbs?), Duracell, are priced about the same as the auto parts store product, and have a 3 year free replacement warranty. Many times you can get a 10% or 15% coupon code for use ordering online for in-store pickup. They have been good to me so far, knock on formica.
For garden, I go with Wally, and look for the 'freshest' on the shelf by the date code.
tom
It used to be Interstate, Exide, and Johnson Controls. They still make the lions' share of lead acid batteries in the US markets.
Right now Everstart at Wal Mart along with the O'Riley and Autozone house brands are made by Johnson Controls but that could change at the drop of a hat. Trying to keep track will make your head spin like the little girl in the exorcist.

Just like so many other aftermarket parts there are quality grades and they hide the actual grade from the public. Your best bet is to look at the warranty. More warranty is usually higher quality. Motorsport and outdoor equipment batteries are usually made as cheaply as possible so the profit is extortionate.

Your best bet is to take as much care as possible to make sure the battery has the longest life possible. Cutoff switches and removal to the basement where the battery is charged up for the off season.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Go custom! Get something like this trunk to attach to the back of your tractor, then extend the battery cables inside and put an extra-large battery in. This guarantees you'll have enough cranking amps in sub-zero weather and you get extra weight on the rear tires for plowing. :tango_face_wink:

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
When I was having trouble with starting my walkbehind unit in the winter (it was born as a walkbehind mower, that I made a plow for to use it also in the winter), I fabbed up a new, larger mount for a bigger battery:

https://www.mytractorforum.com/11439489-post25.html

It really helped in the winter, and it's also worked for boosting my truck, and keeping my truck running when the alternator failed (it's an '04 Sierra 3500, and it dies once the computers stop running).

·
15,000 +posts!
19,654 Posts
The two Walmarts in my town have not had any GT-1 garden tractor batteries in stock for the past 2-3 months...they are still the cheapest option at about $22 with a core traded in,but when they have none--your forced to buy elsewhere..

None of the other places local like Lowes,Home Depot,Tractor Supply have a 230 CCA battery for anywhere near Walmart's $22 price,at those stores you'll pay more like $45 exchanged..

I bought 2 of Walmart's "Ever-Start" GT batteries about 3 years ago,one died after a year,but it was partly my fault for not putting in on a charger often enough ,and using them in old tractors with starter/generators that drain them starting the old engine,then failing to recharge them as you used the tractor..

The other one sat un-used in another tractor and I only recharged it every few months,it was kept inside in an unheated garage...I had to use that one in the other tractor..
The "dead" one will still recharge but it has a dead cell,it'll die after it sits a few days,loses enough power to not crank over an engine,but it'll still light up bulbs..

I'm not so sure Johnson Controls makes Walmart batteries now,they used too,but I have heard they went with Exide not long ago...I never had much luck with any Exide batteries,including two I bought new at K-Mart years ago..

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I'm not so sure Johnson Controls makes Walmart batteries now,they used too,but I have heard they went with Exide not long ago...I never had much luck with any Exide batteries,including two I bought new at K-Mart years ago..
Yup. Makes your head spin to try and keep up.:tango_face_grin:

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's not just batteries. Everything is made now to be replaced a lot sooner than later. A refrigerator used to last 30 years or more, now you're luck to get 7 years out of one. A mower or tractor you buy today is not going to last near as long as one from 20 years ago. Everything is headed towards "replace" rather than "repair".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts