My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had this given to me. Old highway mower. Needs some work on the hydraulics, cylinders, hoses. Couple U joints are shot. One problem though, I have no idea what make it is. There isn't a manufactures plate or markings on it anywhere. Extremely well made and very heavy compared to modern mowers. Anyone have a clue who made it from the photos? The gear boxes are heavier than the ones used on today's mowers. PJ

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Terrain King! Someone else said the same thing to me the other day. Thanks for the info! Two opinions and both say Terrain King. I'll check into it. PJ

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a Terrain King! I also found out that parts are still available to some extent, but the prices are three times as much as for other mowers. If a wing gear box goes bad, it'll get junked as their $2500.00 each! Have no idea what it would cost to replace the center box, I don't even want to guess. It'll only get used for knocking down pasture grass if it gets to high, so no strain on it. PJ

·
Registered
20 Posts
They are a tough mower. The Hiway dept. in Texas use to have them before they started contracting the right of way mowing.
I owned a newer version for 15 years and cut a lot of stuff that I shouldn't have. The only thing major I ever broke was one of the wing drive shafts. I finally sold it since I didn't order it with full hydraulics and it was hard to move through narrow gates. The models with a hand winch will hurt a person if you don't keep a good grip on the winch handle while lowering the wings. It only took one time to get my attention.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mr. Garrett, One thing I need is a U joint for one of the wing drive shafts. As you know Mr. Garrett, they were made by or just for a Terrain King mower. Square female on the drive end and larger square male on the other. I might have to have a machine shop modify one from another unit to fit. You don't happen to have an old one or other parts laying around do you? PJ

·
Registered
20 Posts
Paul,....I sold my Terrain King in 1994. Sorry I don't have any parts and have not seen another Terrain King in this area. I believe you are correct in thinking you may have to have a machine shop modify a set of yokes to fit your cutter.

I had a later model cutter than the one your own and it was equipped with 3 section splined drive shafts. When I ruined one of the wing shafts I found it was only used on Terrain King cutters and none of the "off the shelf" drive shafts could be fitted to the unit.$$$$$$$. It seems Terrain King did not use many common vender parts thus they could ask a premium for their replacement parts.

Good luck in your quest to find or modify a yoke.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Think I found the manuals for you on this site at the bottom: http://alamo-industrial.com/Manuals/Index.asp?CategoryID=2
All I saw was a Stingray, unless I missed something. Stingray has a totally different setup. But, I appreciate all the tips and thank you for looking. Like Mr. Garrett said, I'll probably have to get a machine shop modify another U joint for me. Terrain Kings U joints are quite unique in how they attach to the shaft and drive. Even though my mower is so old and looks pretty sour, it works very well, but that joint is about to come apart and nothing is available to repair it. PJ

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All I saw was a Stingray, unless I missed something. Stingray has a totally different setup. But, I appreciate all the tips and thank you for looking. Like Mr. Garrett said, I'll probably have to get a machine shop modify another U joint for me. Terrain Kings U joints are quite unique in how they attach to the shaft and drive. Even though my mower is so old and looks pretty sour, it works very well, but that joint is about to come apart and nothing is available to repair it. PJ
I beg your forgiveness, as I was looking on the list that popped up from your link. I later went to the archive section and found the manual for my mower. Thank you very much! It will be an asset to me, as I do all my own repairs. Please forgive my ignorance. PJ

·
Super Moderator
33,631 Posts
OK just saw your second post! Glad it was the right one! Always good to have the manuals around!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I've come to the conclusion there are no new U joints left for these mowers, which means I'll have to do a conversion. I rebuilt the lift cylinders and found a company called Seal Co. in Tulsa Ok that has all the seals needed for a complete rebuild. They have seals for everything imaginable! They also have a store in Oklahoma City. Remember these cylinders have not been made since 1979 and they had the seals for them. I took the seal cap from one cylinder to them and about 10 minutes I walked out with all the seals to rebuild both cylinders, which was 10 seals. I just thought I'd mention that in case someone else has a problem getting seals for whatever. They can match any seal you need! PJ

Their web site.
http://sealcompany.com/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts