My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me crazy. Bought this last November for $300. It came with a nice deck, a beat-up MCS, a front weight bracket, and 3 suitcase weights. The P220 block was trash. It had a loose valve seat. I did salvage a lot of parts from it though. This spring I sold the MCS for $150. Really thought I'd just part it out but now I think I'm going to restore it. I do have a running P220 for it. Started disassembly yesterday and degreased today. I noticed that both axle seals are leaking. The plan is to replace them and the bearings and install the Onan and see if the trans is good and fix any other leaks. This will be a long term project. I have two others, so no rush. Will try to post pics as I go along.

10.JPG 17.JPG 16.JPG 14.JPG

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,053 Posts
Not bad for $300, Will follow you project with anticipation!

·
Premium Member
6,571 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Great project!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I got most of the stuff off to pull the axle seals. One of the bolts that hold the axle tube to the frame was broken on the right side and I snapped one on the left. Hopefully, I can get the broken bolts out with an easy out. If not, I'll drill them out and retap. I let the parts I pulled off sit in degreaser and scrubbed them some. Will need to do it again but I ran out of Zep. I plan on sandblasting and painting all the parts before reassembly. I'll need to go to the auto parts store also to borrow a puller to get the axles and seals out.

IMG_0061.JPG IMG_0060.JPG

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the dry rotted tires removed today. Starting cleaning up the wheels. Pretty easy doing the middle with the wire wheel. Don't know what I'm going to do for the front and back sides. I guess I'll see if they fit in my harbor freight blast cabinet. Primed the brake parts.

21.JPG 22.JPG

·
Registered
870 Posts
With the volume of sandblasting that you need on your project, perhaps look into a professional blast company. I recently had mill scale removed from a trailer load of hot rolled steel for a surprisingly low cost - it just wasn't worth my time and I prefer to build over cleaning metal.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have the body panels blasted.

·
Premium Member
6,571 Posts
I got the dry rotted tires removed today. Starting cleaning up the wheels. Pretty easy doing the middle with the wire wheel. Don't know what I'm going to do for the front and back sides. I guess I'll see if they fit in my harbor freight blast cabinet. Primed the brake parts.

View attachment 2473400 View attachment 2473401
I’ve got some smaller wheels you can test fit and blast, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I removed the rear end today. Thought I wouldn't have to but it just makes it a lot easier getting the axle tubes off. Pulled the axles and seals. Removed the bearings too. Waiting for the new ones to arrive. Gives me a couple of days to get everything cleaned up and painted. Really starting to hate degreasing parts.

23.JPG 24.JPG

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
When I swapped engines in my 317, I did a frame-up rattle can restore. after dismantling, I started cleaning with a coffee can of solvent and a parts brush...dip, clean, dip, clean forever! I thought there MUST be a better way. I bought a Guardair 83SG oil gun (little pricey, now $120). It has a 1 qt cup and attaches to a compressor. Air flow and solvent flow are both adjustable. Fill cup, attach, pull trigger, and dirt, grease, whatever is gone! A final inspection, rinse with Dawn & water (I've got a liquid fertilizer sprayer that attaches to a garden hose), and a final rinse with straight water...parts are squeaky clean and ready for paint.

A little pricey, but no bending, squatting, reaching around to get all the nooks & crannys, just stand there, spray, and your parts are clean! You may need to hit pockets with a parts brush, but not too often.

Hmm, solvent. I can't recommend this as it hazardous to the environment, the person using it, and the surrounding area...but I use it anyhow !!!...gasoline. I couldn't find anything to clean/remove oil & grease for $2.00 a gallon. It does the job well and it's cheap...just hazardous as ... Bob

·
Registered
297 Posts
Bob,

Love the tip about the gun. The solvent???....I've been chuckling for a minute now thinking so many thoughts....
...guessing you don't smoke while you do that?
...sounds like an outdoor activity
...guessing you don't have neighbors nearby (can only imagine the smell)
...I'll place you in the "old school" category

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been using Zep degreaser. Works pretty well but you do have to scrub with a brush.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Can'KeepUp, Hmm,
smoking,ONLY if a wind is at my back...gotta watch out when I move to the other side of the part though, wind NOW in my face! No damages...yet!
outdoors for sure, through experience! My basement walls are 12' and I've got a deck overhead, so I've got 3 12' walls and a "roof" (deck floor with spaces between boards). I do small parts there, but spraying for more than 1/2 hour, I go completely outside!
No neighbors for 1/4 mile...at least!
"old school" hellyeh! I'll be 72...tomorrow!... and learned stuff in the 60's. It worked then and it still works now. I like the price on my solvent though. Many have called me cheap, I just say thrifty! I AM tighter than a frogs butt in a hurricane and can squeeze a nickel hard enough to make the Indian ride the buffalo...more 60's stuff! Bob

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the rear all cleaned up and put the frame in the shop. I'm sure the neighbors are happy to see it off my driveway.

27.JPG 25.JPG 26.JPG

Reactions: RussKish

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got one broken bolt out with an easy out. The one in the other axle tube wouldn't budge. Had to drill it out and retap.

28.JPG

This was fun. NOT! The axle pivot did not want to come out. Had to beat it out with a brass dowel. Took me about a half-hour. Things that have never been maintained are always a pain.

29.JPG

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
I had a similar problem with a 318 rear brake drum that was rusted to the axle. I eventually had to cut it off and it took almost a day to keep from damaging the axle. Heat and gear pullers had no effect on it. You are right about things that have never been serviced!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts