My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basal Cell Carcinoma is a form of skin cancer. I have had two surgeries this past Month to remove the cells. They are normally non-malignant and spread on the surface of the skin. If left untreated, they will go deeper (I had one that I let go for 3 years and it took a little more to get out!).

I had a small spot, on my jaw, which they removed and needed 6 interior stitches and 12 exterior stitches to close.

The one on my cheek (3 years old) took a little more to dig out and remove. 8 interior stitches and 16 exterior stitches.

The procedure is called Mohs.

I waited too long, and finally went at the urging/harping from my family and friends. Please do not wait if you suspect some spots on your skin, especially ones that don't seem to ever heal!!

Attachments

·
Which one's Pink?
413 Posts

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Good call to get 'em taken care of Ken , even if it took a while. Is that a hereditary trait at all , or just from exposure? Reason I ask is my Gramps had something like what you had removed and since then I've been a bit leery of skin exposure .

·
Premium Member
9,779 Posts
Thank you for the food for thought. My Dad and MIL have both had run-ins with skin cancer. Clearly not something to be trifled with. Please recover quickly!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Thanks for the update and the warning Ken. The Mohs surgery is a fairly simple and very effective procedure when done early. My dad had that done several times on various spots and the implication was sun exposure. :fing32:

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
My Doc says sun exposure and blame it on your parents. Some skin types tend to be more susceptible to the various skin cancers apparently.

I've had several removed and will be going in this next month for my annual "inspection".

Talk to your Doctor about having a "mole mapping" done, this procedure is not difficult and simply is having all the moles on your hide recorded so at the next checkup they can be sure what has changed.

Like Ken says, early detection and response is vital to prevent a very curable problem from becoming real serious.

Mike

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:thanku: all...

Good call to get 'em taken care of Ken , even if it took a while. Is that a hereditary trait at all , or just from exposure? Reason I ask is my Gramps had something like what you had removed and since then I've been a bit leery of skin exposure .
It has been said that truck drivers (I was one) tend to get them on their left side of the face and left arm..FWIW..

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
^^ That's good to know. Been working outside most my life, so I guess I'll be " balanced " there. :D Thanks for the tip, and heal well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts