My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today started out soso as the wheather has been humid and wet. So I decided to weed wack first so it could dry... Everything went great job well done... So I pull the GS6500 out fuel it up check the oil and get it out to the yard. Mowed for about an hour and a half to two hours I move to back yard and it happens..out of no where a 4 inch dia. stump appeared under my mowing deck.. From the noise and sudden stop with belt slipping bellowing smoke from under there somewhere...

Anyways here are a few shots of it the brokem mandrel bent shaft and blade... Fun afternoon turned into costly trim job...

Attachments

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
There are fun days and not so fun days.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bette yet I took the wifey poo and went and bought a quart of shine and killed the pain.

Belive it or not the lirrle stump was ripped out od the ground..

Today I will tear her down and see what I can find for a decent price on line.. Anyone know the Craftsman part number off hand?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glenn I looked at that and not sure if that includes the housing and ll. Seems cheap for a complete mandral

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
You might be right, in the parts picture, it shows 14- as the housing and 13 as the shaft. picture But it says Shaft assembly, mandrel, vented and just the houshing has a different part #

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,575 Posts
draddogs, I got this one on a spare deck..

Let me know if you want it..

I will send you the mandral,bearings and screw..You pay shipping and whatever its worth to you..:trink39:

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Not saying you couldn't make it work, but the 54" deck mandrels have 4 mounting bosses not 3.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hit one of those floating rocks a few weeks ago and busted up a mandrel.

I bought 2 complete mandrel assy's including 2nd day freight and cost me $85.00.

I'm at work right now, when I get home I will post where I got them from.

Billy

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have been so busy with other peoples rquip,ent that I am going tp tear down the deck this afternoon and see how bad the deck is.. I believ that the mounting ares on the deck may have been compromised... Also have a good friend up here that welds aluminum and he looked at the mandral and said he could repair the housing mtg tabs for free. It just that in the back of my mind it wont be as strong and he says it will be actually stronger.. I'm not sure.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I believe he can't fix this.. and I was right.. He bowed out of trying so I ordered a new on off ebay Should be here thursday or friday..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts