My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a set of mounted bar tires for snow removal and plan to add www fluid as ballast, consulted the OM table for liquid ballast. It warns not to use the factory wheel weights and liquid together as this "may damage transmission" Certainly this combination weighs less than wheel weights and the available rear ballast box. Absolutely weighs less than wheel weights and a backhoe. Have a steep drive to plow and the mindset that "more is better" when it comes to weight. What am I missing ?

·
22,343 Posts
Ordered a set of mounted bar tires for snow removal and plan to add www fluid as ballast, consulted the OM table for liquid ballast. It warns not to use the factory wheel weights and liquid together as this "may damage transmission" Certainly this combination weighs less than wheel weights and the available rear ballast box. Absolutely weighs less than wheel weights and a backhoe. Have a steep drive to plow and the mindset that "more is better" when it comes to weight. What am I missing ?
The fact that the bar tires will be running on hard packed snow where they have no chance of penetrating for traction. Bar tires (ags) are for soft ground where they can operate as paddles until they can dig deep enough for traction.

I have been running my MF GC2310 with Rim Guard and the original turf type tires for 6 winters and it works great, even on glare ice. The 5' back blade doesn't hurt, either. With both bucket and back blade on the ground, it usually moves right along. If traction is broken, the back blade comes up and it just keeps going on level ground.

With the additional problem of the steep slope, an investment in a set of 2-link chains for the rear tires will be a much better option than the bar tires.

I'd sure like to see their reasoning for not using wheel weights along with loaded tires, and what the supposed potential damage might be. That doesn't jive with my experience with a couple of GTs, and I would hope that the transmission in a SCUT is superior to the ones in GTs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can`t disagree with what works for you, however used my previous machine on this drive with both chained turfs and bar tires. I got better results with ag tread.

Back to tranny damage, I too would like to hear the idea behind this, I would think liquid would be preferable to bigger wheel weights as you don`t have to accelerate the rotating mass.

·
22,343 Posts
Can't argue with results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts