My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
X720 62 MOWER, SNOWBLOWER
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just made my own ballast box. 24w+10d+24h. Mounts to x720 frame with 3 hitch pins. Used 2+4 s and plywood i had . Bought the hinge pins for $6.45. And that my total cost. I feel thats better than buying a deere ballast box.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Didn't happen if you don't have a pic. :fing32:

How much weight do you think you could put in it?

·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did do it and i dont know how to post pics to old to learn, i can get 3 concrete blocks and 1 3+8+16 block in it. i figure thats about 150 pounds. note: i dont have to lie about this as any one with a little talent can build one.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
i did do it and i dont know how to post pics to old to learn, i can get 3 concrete blocks and 1 3+8+16 block in it. i figure thats about 150 pounds. note: i dont have to lie about this as any one with a little talent can build one.
I didn't mean to imply you were lying, that was a way to ask for pictures. :trink39:

Sounds like that should give you some good weight. Are you concerned about the plywood and pine being out in the elements or did you put some type of finish on it?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Ray,

TB is right, that is a common "method", if you will, for people on the 'Net to chide others to post pictures of what they have done/bought/made/etc. It is meant to be humorous, not an accusation. Just like if you found a great deal on something and bought it for much less than retail, people will say "You Suck!", same thing, it is offensive when taken at face value, but most folks mean it to be a humorous way of saying "You got a great deal and I am jealous!".

BTW, thank you for the information on your ballast box. I may borrow your idea for my tractor. :thThumbsU

Paul

·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
valurker

if you do make one let me know how you made yours

i have to paint mine, white or green i have lots of white

good luck on your build

·
Premium Member
8,076 Posts
If you have pictures that you would like to post, but don't know how, you can email them to me or any of a number of other regulars on here and we can post them for you. Let me know if you want to, and I'll send you a pm (private message) with my email address.

·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If you have pictures that you would like to post, but don't know how, you can email them to me or any of a number of other regulars on here and we can post them for you. Let me know if you want to, and I'll send you a pm (private message) with my email address.

a. 2 pcs 2+4+6 inchs long drill 1/2 inches hole about 3 inchs from end
1 pc 2+4+24 inchs long find center of this pc measure 7 1/2 inchs out from center each side nail or screw the two above pcs to this 2+4 making sure you have at least 14 1/2 INCHS BETWEEN THE 2 2+4S this pc will hang to the top of the frame

b. 2pcs 2+4+24 in long
2pcs 2+4+10 in long
1 pc 2+4+14 in long w 1/2 hole to mount on hitch.

nail or screw 10 in long to 24 inch long at each end the 14 in pc nail or screw to center of 24 inch long. this will mount to the hitch

c. 2pcs ply 24 1/4 + 24 high
2 pcs ply 10+ 24 high

take 5/8 exterior plywood and nail or screw this to the above 2 pcs a. is the top b. is the bottom.
when finished should be 10 in deep 24 inchs wide+24 high

good luck. if anyone uses my idea please let me know or chandes you make. cash or cks accepted

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
The phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words" comes to mind ...

In our case we like a mix of pics and words but thanks for sharing the words.:thThumbsU

·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
okay i have a pic in email if anyone will give me their email i will email it to you so you can get it on the forum for others to view. if you use pm how will i know i have one? also you can go wider on the box to fit your needs for extra weight. what color??

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Try this. Click the "Quote"
image on my message.

This will take you to the full message editor the same as if you clicked "Goto Advanced" on a Quick Reply.

Anyhow, once on the full editor page you will see an area to type your text. On top of the text area are a bunch of images (controls) for things you can do. Click the
one (paper clip) and you will see a window open that looks like the following:
MA.jpg

Click on the top browse button and go find your picture on your computer. They can not be too large (see info at the bottom of the Attachments window). You can add four per post. When you have them click the Upload button in that same section. You can then close this window. You can now click on the little down arrow next to the paper clip to place the images in the post or just let them auto insert at the bottom of the message. After you get things in click the "Preview Post" toward the bottom to see how things look. Fix then, preview again, ... then post it.

There are better options for posting more pics or larger pics but this is a quick-n-dirty way to do it. There are also many helpful threads in the Site Questions and Stuff forum for how to do things here.

Good luck and let us know if you need anything!

Peter

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Here is a pic of Raymond's weight box.:fing32:

Attachments

·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tried it

Try this. Click the "Quote"
image on my message.

This will take you to the full message editor the same as if you clicked "Goto Advanced" on a Quick Reply.

Anyhow, once on the full editor page you will see an area to type your text. On top of the text area are a bunch of images (controls) for things you can do. Click the
one (paper clip) and you will see a window open that looks like the following:
View attachment 176709

Click on the top browse button and go find your picture on your computer. They can not be too large (see info at the bottom of the Attachments window). You can add four per post. When you have them click the Upload button in that same section. You can then close this window. You can now click on the little down arrow next to the paper clip to place the images in the post or just let them auto insert at the bottom of the message. After you get things in click the "Preview Post" toward the bottom to see how things look. Fix then, preview again, ... then post it.

There are better options for posting more pics or larger pics but this is a quick-n-dirty way to do it. There are also many helpful threads in the Site Questions and Stuff forum for how to do things here.

Good luck and let us know if you need anything!

Peter

Attachments

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Looks good Raymond. :thThumbsU

Now I believe that you did it. :sidelaugh:hide:

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Glad you got it Raymond! Sorry for the double post of your pic.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Looks good, but I don't think I'd put my feet under it!!!:praying:

I'd be afraid that with all that weight bouncing around and such that the screws/nails will pull out, particularly from the ends of 2x4's etc.

Maybe I'm just a worry wart, but I'd keep a close eye on it.

·
Tractor nut, general nut
461 Posts
Looks good. I would paint her greene!!!

·
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update im going to install l braces on the top 2+4s. Someone said nails/screws might not hold. Got me thinking.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts