My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any here make a hitch receiver for a ball style hitch for their Swedish Rider? I made one for my Craftsman to tow my log splitter as shown in the following two pics.

The log splitter does not have a jack to lift the drawbar, only a leg that folds up. I often leave the log splitter attached to the tractor while in use so I want it to be almost as high as when it is propped up on the fold-down leg. My concern is to have enough clearance so the hitch does not interfere when making sharp turns (without the log splitter attached).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you ever find a solution to this? I have the same need for exactly the same tool (although different brand).

·
Registered
797 Posts
If you get some pictures of the back end, those of us that have done this for their machines (non R322TX) may have seen something or have ideas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine should be here within a week. I’ll get some pictures once he/she/it arrives.

Thanks for the offer of help.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Looking at those two holes, I wonder if something like This would work?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Or you could get a plate and drill the two holes, then weld a receiver tube to it. That's essentially what I did.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Looks like you have plastic up there and some type of a vented area as well.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, it is a plastic cover over the hydro and it needs airflow for cooling.

I am looking for a leaf spring from a large truck that would have roughly the same curve as the cast iron bumper. I would stack it on top of the bumper to get the needed height and weld a vertical piece to it. The vertical piece would wrap around and be welded to the 2 inch hitch receiver at the top and welded to a plate behind the drawbar at the bottom.

I've been looking for a leaf spring in the scrap metal pile but not having much luck. I may have to go ask at a truck shop if I can dumpster dive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lligetfa, have you considered some sort of drop bar, to bring your log splitter down to the height of the rider hitch plate? Shaped something like this (but obviously not this exact part).

·
Registered
14 Posts
You might have missed my first post where I stated "I want it to be almost as high as when it is propped up on the fold-down leg".
Nope, I didn't miss it.

My point was that if you can't raise the tractor towing hitch to the height of the corresponding splitter hitch, then have you considered bringing the splitter hitch down to the level of the tractor-side hitch (by using an angled drop bar)? It's simply a different way of looking at the same problem.

This could/would achieve the requirement to keep the splitter in roughly the same position/stance as if the tractor towing hitch was position slap-bang in the red box your drew on the picture of the Rider back end.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What's above the picture. Anything solid you can put a brace from.
Only the plastic engine cover, unfortunately.

Have thought some more today and still think the only solution is to bring the hitch on the splitter down to the same level as the hitch on the back of the Rider.
For me that’s a sleeve for the 60mm square profile drawbar on the splitter, with a 250-300mm extension downwards, then a pin clevis to slot on to the existing Rider hitch. I thin this should still maintain fair balance of the splitter weight on the wheels, without exerting excess downwards pressure on the flimsy Rider hitch.

Might have a go over the winter.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I personally don't care for trailers so I got a trailer dolly and modified it to pull behind my tractors. I have a few wagons here on the farm for most of my needs and seldom use the dolly unless I want to use a larger trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I want to keep the ball hitch on the splitter to tow it with other vehicles so I won't modify the splitter. I also want to tow a trailer that has a ball hitch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts