My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using metal ball joint forks to remove a ball joint the grease coming out of the rubber boot can make the fork bounce back out after each hit with the hammer or sledge. Get out a razor knife and cut off the boot or at least the half of it the fork will be going over,,, then the fork will wedge in there much easier and speed up the job.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yer right.
Another thing is after you remove the nut give the side of the joint, the link, a couple of smacks with a hammer. I've replaced a fair number of ball joints and never had to resort to a pickle fork....yet.....Mike

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
I would not completely remove the nut,especially on a vehicle with control arms and "old" style coil spring suspention..the spring could come flying out or the control arm fly down suddenly if the vehicle isn't supported under it with a jack firmly..I run a chain thru the spring and control arm and bolt it together to keep anything from escaping just in case too..

I have a pickle fork,but usually dont even use it on ball joints ot tie rod ends much,I use it more to get pulleys off shafts or to pry stuck bolts out,after I learned that giving the steering knuckle or draglink a few good whacks where the ball studs pass thru them usually makes them fall right out..I have removed many press in ball joints by supporting the lower control arm with a pipe just bigger than the O.D. of the ball joint housing,put a metal plate under the pipe and let the pipe rest firmly on it on the ground,then a few whacks with a hammer usually pops it right out..putting one in is pretty easy the same way,just put a metal plate or socket on the ball joint and tap on the control arm,as long as you get it started "straight" and not crooked,it'll go in pretty easy..I made a crude ball joint press from square tubing and a 3/4" threaded rod that works pretty good too,finding a suitable "cup" to press with can be a challenge sometimes though--I use pipe or sockets usually..

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
9 years ago for $100 I bought a ball joint press to replace ball joints on an 84 F150 I had. I found that putting ample grease on the threads made my work easier. It got its first use since then last week working replacing lowers on my 04 Ranger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts