My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a cheaper used round baler to get started cutting hay. Any advice on what to look for and what to stay away from would be appreciated. Just starting out with a new place and the budget is tight.

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Well any baler you look at first check the belts that make the bale.
Then check all the bearings all over the machine.
I prefer John Deere over any other brand, but that's just my opinion.
If you can find one with variable core that would be the best bet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The number 1 thing to remember with any piece of equipment is parts and service.No baler is woth not having parts available when you need them.If a dealer is close by but doesn't want to help you very much then find one who is.
That being said,I would stick to balers with a long track record of proven reliability such as New Holland ,John Deere or Vermeer.

·
Just passing through
8,422 Posts
I'm looking for a cheaper used round baler to get started cutting hay. Any advice on what to look for and what to stay away from would be appreciated. Just starting out with a new place and the budget is tight.
Who are going to be your customers?...or are you going to be the prime consumer?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My neighbor is paying someone to bale one field now, about 30ac. I would like to bale for him this fall. Another neighbor cut about 15 acres for fertilizer cost this year. I give him another 15+ he never cut. It's pretty much mulch hay left standing from last year that I can sale to a road project close by. I hope to bale all to sale locally next year while I replace fence on all the pastures. Then I plan to sale/keep 50/50. "If" it goes as planned.

·
Just passing through
8,422 Posts
My neighbor is paying someone to bale one field now, about 30ac. I would like to bale for him this fall. Another neighbor cut about 15 acres for fertilizer cost this year. I give him another 15+ he never cut. It's pretty much mulch hay left standing from last year that I can sale to a road project close by. I hope to bale all to sale locally next year while I replace fence on all the pastures. Then I plan to sale/keep 50/50. "If" it goes as planned.
So you have cows?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Not yet. The fences are 30 years old, and I want some income while I rebuild them. All the fields have a good base of bahai/bermuda grass, even the old pastures. I don't want to let them go any longer though, and if I can make something in the process to recover some cost all the better. I'm gonna need the equipment anyway, and can charge to cut and bale for a few others as well.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Used baler and a guy that never baled before. A definite learning experience for sure. Make sure you have a person that is very experienced with balers pick yours out. You don't want to buy someone else's headache..

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Used baler and a guy that never baled before. A definite learning experience for sure. Make sure you have a person that is very experienced with balers pick yours out. You don't want to buy someone else's headache..
Agree with that Tall Grass :trink39:

They can be a real bear to repair, and some of the things are near impossible without proper tools.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not completely inexpirenced, first round baler though. It has been a while too. I have a neighbor that can help me look at it. He is older and very opinionated though. He really likes the NH chain balers.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Not completely inexpirenced, first round baler though. It has been a while too. I have a neighbor that can help me look at it. He is older and very opinionated though. He really likes the NH chain balers.
Wouldn't it be better for the first year to let or get them to come and cut and bale your hay and pay you a lesser fee so you don't have to take the time to do it while repairing fences and such? Thats what everybody here does..Some guys like smaller round bales some like and only buy the big round bales.. some like square.. :fing20: its a mix around here.. Heck the field grass behind my house goes for 20 bucks a round bale.. and its just old crappy grass.. BUT thats him coming here and baling it and him hauling it away. NO work on this end on my part in any way. :fing32: Then with the little extra cash in pocket you can get something a tad newer and better shape.. Just a idea..:fing32:

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
That's good you have someone to help you out.
But those older chain balers can be hard to find parts for.
Well at least new parts, most are in junkyards around here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Team Green that would be wonderful if I could get someone to do that. Right now here they are selling for $20 - $25 baled and I cannot get anyone to bale it and give them the hay. Everyone wants cash for baling. I advertised it last year with no takers.

Dave, they are still plentiful here and cheap. However, all I have seen make a loose bale that does not transport well. You are right, I've been told they are hard to repair. I intend to stay away from them. They are really the only problem balers I advised to stay away from however. Thats kind of what I'm asking, what others are best not to consider. I understand the best will wear out. but which ones are known to be problematic.

I've found a Ford 552 to check out his weekend, any known flaws.

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
here is a link to a forum that talks about that baler.
http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=47151
Don't forget you're looking to buy an antique here.
I know money is a big factor, but you may have to look long and hard but the newer the better.
Notice there are 2 types, one you hand trip to tie and one that is hydro.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Check with a dealer and see if they have a baler you can rent. With such great financing out there and with the idea of you purchasing then they might rent you one due to the small amount you are baling. You might make a deal with someone to mow and rake for them and then they will bale yours. A little seat time experience will give you great amounts of new knowledge.

PS:You probably know this but remember! Always shut that PTO off and have the tractor in park before getting off the tractor and doing anything to it.

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Things do happen, that's a fact.
But with proper matinance these things don't happen often.
Bearings do go out at the worst possible moment as we all know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Never hurts to be reminded TG, thanks. I've heard of bale fires, never been in ivolved with one though. I have known people that got run over by their equipment though, it happens fast when your careless. Both involved falling off the tractor, one raking and one harrowing.

The 552 scares me, its cheap(<1,000) and seen light use. The closed throat kind of intimidates me. 1 owner, stored inside, and has seen a few hundred bales a year while in use. The owner/operator is deceased, so its repair history is rather vague. The widow said he had used it till the last couple of years. Think I'll keep looking. It would have let me keep some $$ in my pocket for repairs though.

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
The closed throat is nothing to be afraid of.
But you made a good choice in my opinion letting it go by.
Keep lookin you'll fimd the right one for you.

·
Just passing through
8,422 Posts
Team Green that would be wonderful if I could get someone to do that. Right now here they are selling for $20 - $25 baled and I cannot get anyone to bale it and give them the hay. Everyone wants cash for baling. I advertised it last year with no takers.

Dave, they are still plentiful here and cheap. However, all I have seen make a loose bale that does not transport well. You are right, I've been told they are hard to repair. I intend to stay away from them. They are really the only problem balers I advised to stay away from however. Thats kind of what I'm asking, what others are best not to consider. I understand the best will wear out. but which ones are known to be problematic.

I've found a Ford 552 to check out his weekend, any known flaws.
If you are serious about getting into haying...you should stop in here...http://www.haytalk.com/content.php...;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts