My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in a previous thread, some of the plastic on my bagger system has some cracking in it. It is still functional right now, but I would prefer to attempt a fix before the situation worsens.

Highlighted in the picture(s) are the two areas I have significant cracks. The crack on the deck adapter seems pretty straightforward (to fix), but the cracking on the top of the bin cover worries me.

I'm thinking of fabbing some sort of reinforcement wrap for the top area out of thin sheet metal or flashing, then sealing/gluing it to the plastic. Thoughts?

On the deck adapter crack, it's about 2-3" long and 1/16"-1/8" wide, mostly straight. What should I use to seal this--some sort of epoxy? Should I use any type of backing material? If so, I'm thinking the material would need to be on the exterior of the chute so it doesn't get sand/debris-blasted off.

I can take some better pictures and get them up later, if anyone wants/needs a closer look.

Thanks in advance!

-Calhoun

Attachments

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I can relate to the one on top,got too close to a tree--didn't ya!:biglaugh:I got to replace mine after hitting too many.Can't see the one on the grass deflector,but a piece of thin metal with bolts might do it.:trink40:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha, I get to blame that one on the PO. I've only got about 30 mins on this bagger, but with the amount of pecans & acorns its been sucking down, I think I need to be proactive in reinforcing it.

Here are some closer-up pics... my previous description may have been a little optimistic on the damage on the top. I hadn't realized it was this bad.

Thinking I'll sheath the inside of the tube 'receiver' on the bagger lid with flashing, as the sheet metal I have would be tough to bend properly. The section with the open crease may get the thicker metal if I can work it in.

The crack on the deck adapter is a little bigger than I remembered, and more of an L shape. I figure there's some product somewhere to be had for bonding plastic.

-Calhoun

Attachments

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Yup,I'm sure you can come up with some kind of fix-I'd try-cause the replacement cost on catchers are fairly high.Got ya on the acorn thing--if I could sell'um---I'd be a rich man!!!BTW,if you run short of sweet gum balls let me know,I got plenty.Been thinking about painting'um white and selling to the tourist as porcupine eggs!!:biglaugh::biglaugh::trink40:

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Popsicle sticks and filled epoxy can do wonders in repair applications. The popsicle sticks can add stiffness and strength without adding a lot of thickness, and the epoxy will hold them in place if the surface has been roughened a bit.
A/C ductwork sheet metal is also a good material for reinforcing and filling 'gaps'. I thought of using sheet metal screws, but don't think having the pointy ends exposed is such a good idea, and they will attract globs of clippings or leaves.
tom

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've used contact cement & linen cloth to repair many oddly shaped parts; even patched a block (thrown rod when I bought it for them) on brothers' 5 hp go-cart engine. It was still intact when they tired of it & got an offer they couldn't pass on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the ideas gentlemen, gives me some food for thought.

Was up at Harbor Freight yesterday and forgot to look for a bonding agent.

Did get a 1/2" drive torque wrench for $10 though:thThumbsU

-Calhoun

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Some good suggestions,I have found that fiberglass cloth can be used with different adhesives,not just epoxy or polyester resins,and makes good repairs. The cloth is found with boat supplies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts