My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a Craftsman GT 6000 w/18 hp B&S engine:
Problem:stalls when put on a load, eg, turning on PTO or just going up a steep incline. It idles and runs smooth untill I give it gas.... Or apply a load
I have checked spark, OK
I have adjusted carb untill I'm crazy
I have checked compression, OK
I have reset governor, OK
Tank vent, OK
Rebuilt carb (OK I think)

What have I missed???? :banghead3

·
Registered
933 Posts
It's a Craftsman GT 6000 w/18 hp B&S engine:
Problem:stalls when put on a load, eg, turning on PTO or just going up a steep incline. It idles and runs smooth untill I give it gas.... Or apply a load
I have checked spark, OK
I have adjusted carb untill I'm crazy
I have checked compression, OK
I have reset governor, OK
Tank vent, OK
Rebuilt carb (OK I think)

What have I missed???? :banghead3

You missed the problem apparently!:sidelaugh

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm not much good with carbs(or much else for that matter), but sure sounds like a fuel issue to me. Check the filter or fuel pump?

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
Sounds like a fuel supply issue to me.

Thinking outside the box here-
Possibly the plunger on the carb solenoid has some corrosion on it and isn't fully retracting when 12V is applied to it???

·
Registered
292 Posts
Before you tear everything apart take the adjustment screw out and spray carb cleaner through it. my gtv16 had a gummed up spot right at the jet and runs fine now. it would have saved me alot of time if I had done that first
Roy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I rebuiilt the carb with new pcs. and with a clean tank have forsaken the use of a filter for now.
How do I check timing?
Hmm, there is a jet (?) behind a I/2" +/- bolt head I haven't looked at or removed.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Leaking gaskets, Carb to manifold, manifold to engine. Had the same issue. No load engine runs fine, as soon as you put demand on it instead of creating vacume, it suckd air from below the carb.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks larrybl, your diagnosis was spot on.... left cyl to intake manifold was totally unsealed! New gaskets + permatex red did the trick....

·
Registered
670 Posts
and with a clean tank have forsaken the use of a filter for now.
That's a huge $3 mistake. I run 2 fuel filters on mine. Dirty gas can/will mess up your newly cleaned carb.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, I had "new" junk in the carb also when I checked it out upon reassembly, got that big old white filter on now for sure.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts