My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ruler of the Wasteland
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In anticipation of the coming mowing season I decided to get one of my RER's going to mow with so my Power King can be free for tractor tasks. I ordered in a new drive disk, as the old one had a chunk out of it that rendered it unusable. The disk came in the mail today, but I'm not sure about it. Looks like the mold halves weren't aligned when they cast the rubber. What do y'all think? I think if I put it on it'll just go whop-whop-whop until it shakes everything loose. This isn't normal, is it? It is Oregon branded.

And, assuming I can't get another good one, where's a good place to get one from?

I'm pretty sure it's f'd, but I just wanted to make sure before I start complaining.

Picture attached.

Thanks,
Chaz

Attachments

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
That is mold misalgnment I'd say. If it is like that all the way around, it will likely wear into place, as the high side will be carrying most of the load until it wears evenly. If it is erratic, and the high side 'wanders' high and low and high, I'd be on the horn to the vendor right now. The erratic high side could cause intermittent drive friction and thus speed.
On the other hand, it may be that Oregon has found that it doesnt' make a bit of difference, and it will work fine.
Try NAPA for a local replacement. Or the Sears .. or Snapper dealers. Ace Hardware locally has some Snapper parts, but they seem to be very proud of them based on their pricing...
tom

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Oregon,is one of the larger aftermarket parts sellers,they should make it right,or as Tom says, they may,all be like that.Since Sears sells a version of the RER,their parts are probably factory,but they are the highest priced,I have dealt with several vendors,and have had fair experiences with them. You could "Google" "Snapper 7053103" and compare prices,the should tell you if the parts are factory or aftermarket.

·
Ruler of the Wasteland
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I went ahead and put it on. (Tom, it is erratic, BTW, not high on the same side all the way around.) Seems to work alright, still need some adjustments, though. Needs a muffler, too! (I put a 14hp OHV on it off a crap "MTD" and the muffler woudn't work on it. :greendr: ) But I did manage to ride around and cut a bit. (Didn't even set the grass on fire, yay! :fing32: ) I bought the wheel from a guy on ebay that said no returns/exchanges and it is what he said it is, so I don't really expect anything, especially if this is not too uncommon. I'll send him an email anyway, though. If nothing else it would be interesting to know if the other ones he has are like this one. May shoot Oregon one, too.

I didn't order the fiber ring so will probably get one soon anyway (the ring and old wheel both had been on there 20 years or so), I'll get a new wheel then, hopefully where I can look and verify it's good. I'll have plenty of time to get it all sorted out before I really need to cut grass, anyhow.

dc 3mech, I assume from your screen name you used to work on the bigger, more cylindrical aircooled engines, eh? I happen to like those myself. :trink40:

Thanks again,
Chaz

·
Banned
271 Posts
Pretty common... Put a few in snowblowers last winter that looked the same, the high side will wear down and it will be flat, no worries...

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Chaz: Yes the "Douglas Racer" is my favorite bird, My "day job" was in military fighter/attack planes,as a civilian.I was a flight line mechanic and Inspector,off and on for 33 years. In the "off'" part,I worked at various jobs,using my civilian licenses. Among the Civilian ones Beech 18/R-985, DC-3/C-47 R-1820,R-1830 DC-4/C-54 R-2000,Convair 240/340/440 R2800,along with a little on a 749 Connie with R-3350's

·
Ruler of the Wasteland
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dc 3mech,

Cool, sound like you had some fun at your job. :fing32: I'd really like to get my PPL & A&P if I ever get the money. (If the bag of money that falls out of the sky is real big, maybe even a big greasy round engine powered plane! :praying: )

Anyway, back on topic. Did some more mowing Saturday. Put the clutch spring in the third hole and de-glazed the fiber disk with a bit of sandpaper, seems to be fine now. Now all I need is to get a muffler and hook up the alternator, and I think I'm good to go.

Chaz

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Glad the mower's working.I enjoyed my jobs,mostly,some of them were production line assembly,lots of "hurry,hurry,hurry" same thing every airplane,some were really interesting.I worked on the ASAT ,anti-satellite rocket,spent some time at Edwards AFB.Also worked at GD on the first 10 F-16's,finally retired,and worked some contract jobs,MV22,at Amarillo.Also worked some "Freight Dog" jobs,lots of hours,low pay,always under the eye of the FAA,but Hey! I survived.with my license intact.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts