My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a John Deere 6615 mfwd, steering seems real loose. When on hillside seems like I have to constantly keep turning the steering wheel. What’s the symptoms of a bad steering valve? Was leaning towards that or the hydraulic pump. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
23,185 Posts
Welcome to MTF!

That sounds a if the mechanical side of the steering linkage is more likely to be at fault. How are the tie rod eds, etc?

If the mechanicals are in goof shape, my next thought would be that the power steering cylinder seals are worn and leaking by. If all else checks out as needed, then tackle the more complicated and expensive power steering valve. It doesn't sound like a pump problem or there would be more pressing concerns with the hydraulics.

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Super Moderator
23,185 Posts
Thread moved to the Big Boys forum.

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
6,928 Posts
It's only overkill if you need an easement from your neighbor for the tractor to go from the front yard to the back yard...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to MTF!

That sounds a if the mechanical side of the steering linkage is more likely to be at fault. How are the tie rod eds, etc?

If the mechanicals are in goof shape, my next thought would be that the power steering cylinder seals are worn and leaking by. If all else checks out as needed, then tackle the more complicated and expensive power steering valve. It doesn't sound like a pump problem or there would be more pressing concerns with the hydraulics.
Everything mechanical is fine, and the outside seals on the steering cylinder aren’t leaking, I would think that if the internal seal was leaking it would lock up the steering. Do you know what the hydraulic pressure should be by any chance? I can also pull the tire up against the side of a tree or anything heavy and try to cut the wheel and there is no resistance, steering wheel just keeps turning. Any thoughts on that?

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
6,928 Posts
If you look just below the header of this page, there are a series of links known as "breadcrumbs", which indicate where you are on this site

For this page, it has:
You can click on any of them to go directly to that section of the website.

The forum that this thread has been moved to is the BIG John Deeres forum: BIG John Deeres

·
Super Moderator
11,473 Posts
When your lawn is 930 acres and very hilly it ain’t overkill. Thanks
I was going to respond by saying that it depends how big your lawn is..that is almost 1.5 square mile isn't it?...how often do you mow...and how long does it take?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Welcome to my Tractor Forum
I think either steering cylinder or steering valve is leaking internally. Drive tractor on level ground & note if steering wheel requires much rotation while tractor is traveling in straight line.

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
Everything mechanical is fine, and the outside seals on the steering cylinder aren’t leaking, I would think that if the internal seal was leaking it would lock up the steering. Do you know what the hydraulic pressure should be by any chance? I can also pull the tire up against the side of a tree or anything heavy and try to cut the wheel and there is no resistance, steering wheel just keeps turning. Any thoughts on that?
Given the lack of resistance, i would say cylinder failed internally. Easy way to check, turn the wheel all the way to the right, pull the right hand side hose off the cylinder, put a bucket under the cylinder and try turning into the steering lock to the right. If the cylinder is bad, oil will continously puke out the open side of the cylinder (you will get a little bit no matter what), but if its a solid stream as long as you hold pressure on it, you know its bypassing the cylinder. If all you get is a dribble, then its the steering box.

Reactions: TUDOR
1 - 12 of 12 Posts