My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was not good for me. I was greeted with a flat tire on the LA120 when opening the garage door and found a nail causing the problem. Not having time to patch it, I blew it up and started mowing around the house and did the ditch. After a short hour, the tire needed more air but I parked it and started the 2320 to mow the big stuff. Well, after about 1/2 hour strange sounds started coming from the deck with a bit of a vibration and then BANG, the belt took off landing if front of the tractor. Not sure why the belt broke since the deck has may be 30-40 hours on it. No cut marks or rubs are shown. Anyone else had trouble with belts breaking with a small number of hours on them? The JD dealer said the belt will be in this Wed and will cost $71.. I asked about warranty and gave them all a good laugh. Now I need to plug the leak in the other tire. What next???

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Think I'd take the belt dimensions to a parts house and check the availability of a Gates "Green Line" lawn tractor belt. I've had very good luck with them. CAPS and some other outfits use rebadged Gates belts but the paper sleeve they come in will have the Gates brand on it somewhere.

JD has, in my experience at least, been very expensive for belts that are of the same quality as the Gates belts.

Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just out of curiosity have you tried Napa or another auto parts store for the belt. After I found out what the factory belts cost, I started going to the local Napa...same belts half the cost.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked online for a non-JD replacement and have come up short. The belt is at the dealer so I'm not sure of the PN, but it looks lik M136137. I don't see any cross reference to Gates or other belts. Has anyone else found one? This belt is different since it has a taper on both sides of the belt. I've never seen a v-belt like this.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Being a double sided belt it's going to be expensive. You still might check with Gates by way of a really sharp counter person. Someone is making those belts for Deere and they should be available as an aftermarket replacement.

I'd sure continue the search even if you have to bite the bullet on this one.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts