My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so its not the end of the world but I feel like venting. I didn't even clean her off before putting her away I was so mad :banghead3

I had grand designs of dethatching, then plugging and finally overseeding a part of my yard today. I had a little leftover grass to mow so I try that first. Hop on and flip the PTO switch...nothing. GRRR here we go again. I had removed the switch and cleaned all the terminals and had no issues since until today. In the back of my mind I suspect charging issues since the PO just had a new battery installed. Well I finally got it to mow after some finessing.

Next up was the dethatcher. Went around with no issues. I rake it up and hitch up my dump cart and head to my compost. Shut her off dump my mess and get back on CLICK...CLICK...CLICK...CLICK Ok now I am positive the battery is dead. Go grab another and my cables and she fires right up. Let her run while I take the extra battery and cables back to the garage and I hear her shut off. Now what I wonder? So I take the battery out and replace it with a charged one. She cranks fine and pops off but is acting like there is no fuel. I just added gas and the low fuel light is not on. AH HA I bet the stupid pickup line is broken or fell off in the tank. So I add even more gas and yeah it starts right up.

So yeah not the end of the world but now I have to explain to the boss why my "new to me" and most expensive ever tractor is having "issues". I planted some mums that she has been asking for to hopefully grease the wheels a little :drunkie:

Tim if you have anything in the service manual about diagnosing the charging system I'd love a couple pointers :fing32: Looks like I'm off to JD again this week for more parts oh darn LOL

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Sorry to here all the troubles! I hope the Boss takes it easy on ya!

·
TE Forum Contributor
408 Posts
It sounds like you have a nice tractor with a minor hiccup. Hopefully you get it fixed soon so you can enjoy some seat time! :)

·
Super Moderator
33,642 Posts
K91, you getting any strange indicators on the light panel? When running is your charging light on? Also PM me your email and we can "discuss" this off site and I can send you some info that is restricted by file size here.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No strange lights, however, the charging light bulb could be burned out. I'll double check that. The previous owner just had the battery replaced at a Deere dealer before I bought it and it has a 2011 date code. I appreciate any help :fing32:

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
It's look like the charging system is not working, take a multimeter and test the battery voltage when the tractor engine is running you should have around 14 volts, if you have less it's could be only a burned fuse or the voltage regulator is "kaput" :D

·
THE TRACTOR HUNTER
2,225 Posts
So Keith, is it an electrical issue or a fuel issue, or is it both ? I am confused after reading your post.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tanner

Its both. I kind of suspected the electrical charging issue all along. The previous owner had a new battery put in right before he listed it for sale. Not that unusual but why would he replace it midseason when he mows over an acre I should have asked.

Now the fuel pickup line must be split or totally fell off. The previous owner had the gas tank really full so he probably never noticed the pickup issue but I let it get pretty low :) I figured I'd pull the fender deck and replace the line. Then I saw one of the fender mounts was split and I figured I might as well do a quick touch up on the paint. And the seat mount knobs were rusted fast and broken so I had to replace them them too right? So the quick fix kind of snowballed LOL

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
As far as the pick-ups go, I had both lines on my 318 gas tank pulled the other day. One side had a screen on the end and the other side just had a metal nipple on it. Is this one supposed to have a hose on the metal nipple that goes into the tank??? If so, mine is missing and fell off into the tank or disintegrated over the years.

Sorry to thread jack a little Keith.

·
Registered
181 Posts
now I have to explain to the boss
Hmmm...

"Honey, buying parts and fixing up the tractor is kind of like buying flowers and nice dinners for you. It makes you happy."

"So now I'm a tractor?"

Ok.. maybe not...

·
Super Moderator
33,642 Posts
Mine wouldn't even come in the JD dealership with me last time, just sat in the truck! I took my sweet time in there too!

Keith, those projects get hit with Miracle Grow on mine everytime! I never seem to just fix the thing I started after!

·
THE TRACTOR HUNTER
2,225 Posts
Tanner

Its both. I kind of suspected the electrical charging issue all along. The previous owner had a new battery put in right before he listed it for sale. Not that unusual but why would he replace it midseason when he mows over an acre I should have asked.

Now the fuel pickup line must be split or totally fell off. The previous owner had the gas tank really full so he probably never noticed the pickup issue but I let it get pretty low :) I figured I'd pull the fender deck and replace the line. Then I saw one of the fender mounts was split and I figured I might as well do a quick touch up on the paint. And the seat mount knobs were rusted fast and broken so I had to replace them them too right? So the quick fix kind of snowballed LOL
Unless you know the PO actually maintained the tractor and changed fuel lines, filters, fluids, etc, I always take a recently purchased JD GT through it's paces and especially always change all fuel lines, pick up line, and filters so that you eliminate the simple stuff. I bet though that most people don't relalize rubber deterioriates and these cool 300 & 400 series tractors are 20+ years old, which means you need to replace these type of parts.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,298 Posts
Tanner

I believe the military term for that is "mission creep". Go to take care of one thing and before you know it, your deep up to your elbows in stuff to do.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know an ounce of prevention goes a long way. I was more mad about wasting what little time I had to do something running around swapping batteries. Tim my wife actually likes to go into the dealer and look for a new hat, shirt, toy for the little one LOL

Oh well at least my fender deck is now a 10 footer instead of a 20 footer. I should have done it right but that would involve dropping it at the blasters and waiting a week, all new decals, fixing the extra holes and cracks and lots of sanding priming painting...WHEW weren't we just talking about things snowballing :duh:

Someday I'll have a chance to tear one down with the actual intention of restoring it until then the grass continues to grow.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Sorry to hear of the aggravations you are having, Keith. Hope the electrical troubles are simple.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The voltage regulator on the 322 and 332 are common problem points. As was mentioned above check the voltage at the battery both shut off and running. Shut off you should have about 12.5 volts on a fully charged battery and 13.5 to 14.5 volts running. If it is not charging, unplug the alternator and check AC voltage on the two wires coming from the alternator. At full speed the alternator should put out around 35volts AC. If the alternator is working, you have a bad voltage regulator or burned wires. I have repaired a dozen or so of these models and in every case the voltage regulator or the wiring between the alternator and VR was the problem. Also be aware that it is common for the bearings in these alternators to sieze up and lock up the alternator resulting in a burned belt. These alternators are very easy to replace bearings in provided the magnets or windings have not been damaged. Bearings can be installed in about 30 minutes for about $20.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Electrical, seeing as the battery is brand new - likely a bad VR-

I bet though that most people don't relalize rubber deterioriates and these cool 300 & 400 series tractors are 20+ years old, which means you need to replace these type of parts.
Right on and its not the age itself, but the change in fuel in that time. ETHANOL - the rubber used 10-20 years ago is disolved by ethanol! amazing but true-

if you find black rubber crap in your fuel filter, replace all lines, filter, pickup and return lines and even the rubber grommets that interface the lines with the tank...

new materials are made the withstand ethanol, and a complete fuel line redo with pickups etc. should be no more than 50$... (for a 345 anyway) good insurance!

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the verdict is 11.95 VDC across the battery terminals and 44.6 VAC from the alternator? I should add that I have no 2 pin connector from the alternator but the wires have butt connectors on them. So I pulled the entire plug from the VR to measure AC voltage.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the dealer FINALLY got my parts in :D Installed a new fuel line and pulled the grommet out of the tank to find the pickup had totally fallen off. Well that explains it. Dumped all the gas out and the old pickup fell out along with some pine needles and other garbage. Almost had it back together when the boss called me away. I might get the fenders back on this week LOL

·
Super Moderator
33,642 Posts
Keith, I had the same thing on mine. But I checked all of that when I tore it down for painting after I got it and replaced it then! Hope you get it running good, it's a great GT!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts