My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TSC bronze utility battery that just wont turn an engine. When I turn the key it just strains. It reads 12V though...

I also have a walmart ever start that reads 12.1V and it turns the engine fine?

I don't understand why the TSC one won't work. The terminals are clean and free of rust.

Anyone have an idea? Its a Feb 2010 battery so not at all old. I will add that they are both 230 CCA.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Just because it reads 12 v. doesn't mean that the battery has the amperage behind it to turn over a motor. It's like when you put a kink in a water hose, and turn on the water. Ya, you gotz water at the nozzle, but it only drips out.

A good slow charge might bring the 'bad' battery back but it may not retain the charge.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
To test, hook up the Ever Start and check the voltage while the tractor is cranking. Next, hook up the TSC battery and do the same. You will find that the TSC battery is drawn down really low.

All this means is that the TSC battery is probably older and the cells are weak. It just isn't producing the cranking amps that it once did.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd take the battery back to TSC and see if they will help you out.. (I ALWAYS save receipts!) They can test it and hopefully will work with ya..
Problem is it came with a mower I bought so no receipt. Thanks for the suggestions though guys I`m gonna put it on my charger for a bit and see what happens.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
DJ has it right - you need to check the voltage under load. Standing voltage doesn't mean much.

·
22,321 Posts
Take that TSC battery back to TSC and see what they will do. There should be a little sticker on it, if it is like other manufacturers, that has the build date code on it. If and when it tests bad, depending on the age of the battery, TSC might give you a prorated credit on it toward a replacement.

Can't hurt to see what they say.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
One reason old batteries get weak is because of plate sulfation. Basically its an insulating crust that develops on the plates and prevents them from flowing high current loads (it raises the Series Resistance of the battery). I have seen plans for small battery desulfator circuits you attach to the battery for a period of time any they remove this crust, haven't used them myself but I know a couple people who have had good luck with them.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
If it were mine I'd do the slow charge and see what happens. If that doesn't work and since you know it's a fairly fresh battery I'd guess defective from the factory or been damaged by the previous owner. Dropped or something of that nature.

I'd also be surprised if any battery seller would do much about replacement since you are not the original purchaser. Sure wouldn't hurt to ask as you never know.

Mike

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put it on the 2amp setting on my charger and it sat there for a good couple hours til it said full. Now i get 12.85 v when it is just sitting there and it works fine ? huh...

·
22,321 Posts
Sometimes batteries just lose some charge and the cranking amps with it.

If it works now, great, but, I would bet that it won't last long. Give it a try, it might surprise you and last for years. It's worth a try.

·
Registered
465 Posts
In this country, what usually happens is that, over the Winter, one of the cells will freeze and the battery then won't hold a charge for very long. I started storing my lawn mower batteries in the basement over the Winter and they last much longer.:thThumbsU:thThumbsU

·
22,321 Posts
Good advice, Larry. Any time a battery is not going to be used for an extended time, especially if it is going to be exposed to extreme temperatures, it needs to be removed from the machine and stored in a climate controlled area.

·
Banned
2 Posts
In this country, what usually happens is that, over the Winter, one of the cells will freeze and the battery then won't hold a charge for very long. I started storing my lawn mower batteries in the basement over the Winter and they last much longer.:thThumbsU:thThumbsU
yes that is what i do also :trink39:

·
Registered
905 Posts
i use trickle/maintenance chargers for any batteries that are not going to be used for a wile, winter or summer, a battery kept fully charged will last longer.

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
if this isn't a sealed battery buy a hydrometer tester, their about 5 bucks, and will tell you the condition of the battery.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I hate to be the one to brig this up but since the Mods and Administrators are on this follow the rules exactly line, I have to say storing a battery in your basement is not very safe !

As it discharges it produces Hydrogen gas which is extremely explosive and could possibly start a fire or worse if your furnace/water heaters are down there with it.

So how do you avoid this ?

The way I do it is first bring it up to full charge then place it on my workbench in the garage (it is insulated so it needs to get very cold out to lower the temp inside) a shelf will do but don't let it set on a concrete floor it will drain it dead if you do have to put it on the floor place it on a piece of wood so it wont touch the floor.

Then use a float charger aka automatic or maintenance charger to keep it fully charged then it will rarely freeze or go bad from sitting during the off season as long as it stays charged, this also helps keep the plates inside from sulfating and shortening the life of the battery.

The reason a battery might freeze is because as it discharges the electrolyte is converted to water and that is what freezes not the battery acid, i.e. your car battery on your everyday driver doesn't freeze because you charge it every time you drive.

Tip: If you must store your battery in the basement do so as far from a source of ignition as possible and you may even want to try this depending on the size of you battery take a surplus .50 caliber ammo can put a piece of wood in the bottom then put you battery in it hook up the maintenance charger and lightly close the lid but don't pinch the charge leads this is a method I've used a long time ago before I had a garage of my own.

P.S. Maintenance chargers are cheap insurance against having to replace your battery every year or two, and they are not that expensive most can be had for half the cost of a new battery just make sure you get a good fully automatic one.

The one I use is made by Deltran and is their high end model but you don't have to go that high (I use it for all my equipment so I opted for the one with more features) I attached a pic so you know what it looks like but any good brand will work. Price $39.99 or less

Attachments

·
22,321 Posts
I hate to be the one to brig this up but since the Mods and Administrators are on this follow the rules exactly line, I have to say storing a battery in your basement is not very safe !

As it discharges it produces Hydrogen gas which is extremely explosive and could possibly start a fire or worse if your furnace/water heaters are down there with it.
Why do you hate to bring it up? It is a very good point that has been overlooked up to this point.

You are exactly right and I appreciate the fact that you remembered it to post it.

·
forkz
5,954 Posts
if its a bad cell probaly b down n the morning i.ve had car batteries that u could jump start do fine all day dead next next morning had em checked bad cell

1 - 20 of 20 Posts