My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a lb of Farmland thick cut bacon yesterday. I had not purchased this brand before, but it looked really meaty, so I picked it up a package to cook on New Years morning. However, the sun was shining bright today (for the first time in a long time), and the temps were up to 5F (from -6 overnight), so I fired up the grill a day early.

I cooked the bacon slowly, approx 250 F, turning every 5 mins, for a total cook time around 20 mins. I like my bacon cooked to the point just before becoming crispy, and I nailed it today. This is probably the best bacon I have ever had (certainly the best I have ever made).

The best part of making the bacon on the grill is that it does not stink up the house.

Here is a photo while it was cooking.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
We have taken to cooking ours in the oven at 400f on a half sheet pan lined with foil (no rack).

It takes about 35-40 minutes or so (thick cut) and my wife prefers hers pretty crispy.

We run the range hood to suck out any excess vapor from the oven, never too much bacon odor in the house and no splatter on the stove top.

Added bonus is that is works year round.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We just discussed how to maybe do it this morning.
One key to cooking bacon on the grill is to make sure the grease does not leak onto the flame. If it does, then instant grease fire. I have used aluminum foil as a cooking tray (easy clean up), but learned the hard way to use plastic tip tongs to flip the bacon as a meta fork or tong will puncture the foil, resulting in a total disaster (the resulting grease fire will consume the foil).

I now have a griddle designed for this purpose - it is similar to the George Forman grill in that it is angled forward, so the grease flows to the front and into the great trough. It is also teflon coated for easy clean up. I tried cast iron griddles, but found them a pita to clean up.

·
Premium Member
8,016 Posts
Cool, but I think you might be the first person I've known to complain about the smell of bacon!

Well, that's if you don't count my wife when I burn it, LOL. I'm the only person who sets off the smoke alarms in our house, and it's always when I'm cooking bacon.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Normally cook bacon on the grill with my cast iron skillets, lay out bacon in large skillet place in cold grill and light propane burner to heat cast iron up along with grill....works great. I also have a large flat top grill, best cooker ever for breakfast / stirfry cooking. Can cook enough eggs, bacon, sausage patties and pancakes for 8 people all at one time. Here's the grill>> https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Outdoor-Grill-Griddle-Station/dp/B00DYN0438/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1517801801&sr=8-4&keywords=flat+grill

2,239 Posts
I use to use the oven. It took too long. The grease would shoot out and hit the heating element. The stove same thing, grease everywhere. and smelly too. I find bacon cost 6 to 9 bucks a package in the store. I go to Harris Teeter at their morning breakfast bar and get almost twice as much for the same price already cooked.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Cool, but I think you might be the first person I've known to complain about the smell of bacon!

Well, that's if you don't count my wife when I burn it, LOL. I'm the only person who sets off the smoke alarms in our house, and it's always when I'm cooking bacon.

Mike
Complaining about the smell of bacon is just plain un-American. Mom, apple pie, flying the flag, and bacon.

·
We're all friends here
13,844 Posts
We make bacon in the microwave. Put several paper towels on a plate, lay the bacon on top and add another towel on top of that. 5 slices take about 5 minutes on highest setting. It comes out crispy and delicious. Throw away the towels and wash the plate. No mess, no fire, no smoke and no tongs. Just bacon! :177:

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
The oven is the only way to cook bacon. That is how restaurants cook large quantities.:tango_face_smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts