My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
22,019 Posts
For reference, a loaded garden type wheel barrow weighs about 350 lb on a single tire and has no problem being moved by hand on a gravel driveway.

I think that you are either overestimating the effect of the weight of the hoe on 4 pneumatic tires, or underestimating your own capability of moving that weight.

If you want to improve the traction for your GC, I suggest that you invest in a set of turfs with the rear ones loaded. I missed the opportunity this past winter to take a pic of my 2310 with turfs (no chains) carrying a bucket load of snow to the top of a 7' pile with only a 5' back blade for additional counter weight. That was about a 20% grade.

R4 industrial tires will not win a pushing contest against turfs on a lighter tractor on snow. At best, without chains they will barely hold their own.*

* - Kubota B2920 CUT with loaded R4s, metal cab, and loader vs MF GC2310 SCUT with loaded turfs, loader, and a 5' back blade. Comparison was made on my neighbour's freshly cleared level driveway with a bucket to bucket pushing contest.

·
A Proud MF'er
78 Posts
Yes, my Bolens has turf tires and a rear weight box and chains on the rear (drive) wheels and is fine in the snow, but only with all of that adding to the tires. I intend to equip this one with chains and a weight box as well, but these tires will have to suffice until they wear out. As for the BH dolly, looks like I need to build it and see how it goes.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just finally started my own backhoe dolly project this morning. I'm going to actually create cradled pillars to set the backhoe into so that I don't have to worry about it sliding off the dolly. I'll take some pictures and share when it's all done

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
Here it is. Bought 330lb plastic/steel wheels from harbor freight and some GRK Fasteners Ubergrade R4 multipurpose screws and some lumber I had laying around. Treated 2x6 under bucket and pins with standard pine 2x4 in between. I created stirrups to set the mounting pins into so the risk of the backhoe sliding off the dolly was minimized.

·
22,019 Posts
Have you tried re-installing the hoe from the dolly?

I don't know about the newer models, but the first point of contact between the tractor and the hoe when installing the hoe for my 2310 is the pins that you have cradled.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Have you tried re-installing the hoe from the dolly?

I don't know about the newer models, but the first point of contact between the tractor and the hoe when installing the hoe for my 2310 is the pins that you have cradled.
Yes. I lift the hoe with the stablizers and then can back in and set the the unit into the mounting plates. The dolly slides under the plates with ease. The key is the wheels on the bucket end are outside and passed the bucket teeth so the dolly doesn't kick up once i left with stablizers. The load still stays pressed in between the 4 wheels

·
22,019 Posts
Ah-Ha! The location of the wheels on the bucket end was where I had a concern. It looked as though when castored from pushing back that they would allow the bearing load to be on the wrong side of the castors and the dolly would tip when the stabilizers took up the strain. In the pic, the castor pivot looks to be centered under the teeth but any vertical load goes through the castor's axle which can be either side of the pivot.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ah-Ha! The location of the wheels on the bucket end was where I had a concern. It looked as though when castored from pushing back that they would allow the bearing load to be on the wrong side of the castors and the dolly would tip when the stabilizers took up the strain. In the pic, the castor pivot looks to be centered under the teeth but any vertical load goes through the castor's axle which can be either side of the pivot.
An optical illusion. While the straight castor's under the mounts are centered on the mounting pins the rotating castor's are pushed out towards the end and out wide. So long as set the bucket teeth around centered on the platform you're fine. I should probably put landing markings on the dolly now that I think about it in the case of my dad ambitiously absconding away with my equipment. He loves the hydraulic lift capacity and weight of my GC1710 vs his little BX1500 and sometimes will come "trade" me without my knowledge.

·
22,019 Posts
A stop block screwed to the landing pad would leave no option but to put the bucket teeth where they belong. The Mark I eyeball is subject to parallax error at that distance and angle of viewing if one isn't very familiar to the situation.

·
Registered
285 Posts
A stop block screwed to the landing pad would leave no option but to put the bucket teeth where they belong. The Mark I eyeball is subject to parallax error at that distance and angle of viewing if one isn't very familiar to the situation.
There's actually a very pronounced line/seam on top that I didn't do a great job of capturing via picture on the top that isn't too be crossed. I may at said block in the future. I wanna see if/what pitfalls this first run at a dolly might have.

·
22,019 Posts
:thThumbsU

·
Still plays with tractors
2,270 Posts
Some better pictures on my backhoe dolly. It's a hodge-podge of material that I had laying around. The only thing I bought were the wheels and hardware. I needed mine to be as compact as possible. I built the box under the bucket to cradle the thing so that I didn't mess up the grease fittings to whatever. If I were to do it again, I would probably do something different there. Having never owned a backhoe before now, I really didn't know what to actually look for. I just needed to get something built quick. Now that it's done, it's strong and it works well, I doubt I'll revisit the project. Too many other things to do.

Attachments

·
2,270 Posts
Couple more pics. For some reason these ones turned sideways but you get the picture. If someone would like to turn them right, I would appreciate it.

Attachments

·
22,019 Posts
You may want to consider using a light chain between the stabilizers when stored in the upright position for extended periods. Mine sometimes drift all the way to the floor when stored over the winter.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You may want to consider using a light chain between the stabilizers when stored in the upright position for extended periods. Mine sometimes drift all the way to the floor when stored over the winter.
As you have the CB65 like me, you can also put the transport pins in the stablizers arms to keep them from falling.

I'm curious to know how that dolly doesn't jump up when you set the bucket on it? Seems like the wheels are too far into the middle to support the Dipper while you dismount?

·
2,270 Posts
I put all the transport pins in so nothing moves until I want it to. I also strap it to the dolly for a little insurance. The pics were taken before I put the strap on. I don't think you could knock this thing off the dolly if you hit it with the tractor.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I put all the transport pins in so nothing moves until I want it to. I also strap it to the dolly for a little insurance. The pics were taken before I put the strap on. I don't think you could knock this thing off the dolly if you hit it with the tractor.
I wasn't worried about it coming off the dolly but rather how does the dolly no slingshot upwards under the mounting station when you set the bucket on the other end? The wheels look to be in a position to create a level/teeder-taughter effect

·
2,270 Posts
As you have the CB65 like me, you can also put the transport pins in the stablizers arms to keep them from falling.

I'm curious to know how that dolly doesn't jump up when you set the bucket on it? Seems like the wheels are too far into the middle to support the Dipper while you dismount?

Yes, I do make use of the transport pins. The dolly really has no room to jump. When I built it, I had just a very slim fraction of an inch where the dolly would slide under. Since I got the wheels filled, I have to jack up the rear end just a little to get it positioned. It makes no sense and it's just a small pain in the butt considering how stable this thing is. To get these things to clear the mounting brackets and be able to fall back to where it clears is a very small window of opportunity which is why you see all the pieces of wood there building up to the right level. I don't use the outriggers to do this. Just the boom.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ah, gotcha. I designed mine to use the outriggers and boom like you would to drop it on the ground. Different way to do the same job. Nice work!

·
2,270 Posts
Ah, gotcha. I designed mine to use the outriggers and boom like you would to drop it on the ground. Different way to do the same job. Nice work!

Thanks. Like I say, not pretty but it works. If I ever get a wild hair with the energy to go with it, I may reconfigure it to work differently but I wouldn't check back too often for that! I'm not going to fix what ain't broke. Too many broke things around.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts