My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got our road graded out to the county black top and all of a sudden the steering wheel got hard to turn. I tore back into the darn thing and the only thing I can figure out is that the shims I made from gasket material got compressed more that I expected them too and the shaft jammed down tight into the lower bearing (PTFE.) I had to use more than I thought I should have to get the end play out. I used about 4mm or 5/32" of them along with some of the original brass ones.

Does that sound like too much ? If I used less, it would jam, if I used more, I had end play. I torqued the bolts to about 27 ft/lbs as I recall.

So, I am going to try and find out where to purchase metal and brass shims for this Ford 3000 maunal sterring, or find some shim material, or make some out of aluminum cans, or something !

Any info anyone can throw at me is appreciated!

:banghead3

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Paper shims should be fine provided they are made out of the right type of paper a lot of shims that in years past are now made of paper instead. 5/32 of shims is a LOT of shim to be adding. Recheck everything my best guess is that something is missing or not installed properly for you to need that much shim. Compare yours to a parts break down maybe you will catch something by doing a stare and compare. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I hope I do have the issue resolved but I won't know until I run it awhile. I used Teflon replacements for the bearings. I was unsure about how far into the housing to tap the lower one in. The upper one in the steering column was obvious. I tapped the lower one in all the way yesterday until it bottomed out and was then able to use less shims. Much less :) I won't know for a while if it's really "fixed" or not but if it isn't, I surely be back here fussin' over it :) Have a great weekend y'all :)

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Sounds like you are on to something get the number of shims reduced :thThumbsU :goodl:

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
The FIRST time that I had to dig into my steering box, I used the nylon (Teflon?) 'bushings' as replacements for the bearings.
I didn't particularly like them... and ended up replacing them about 5 years (or so) later... when I had to totally rebuild the steering box. I put needle bearings back in it...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well....ya know how ya find out better ways after the hard work ? Thats how I learn though! Thanks y'all !:thThumbsU

1 - 6 of 6 Posts