My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Neighbor called me over this morning to ask why his x540 is cutting so bad. I asked him when he sharpen the blades last he said they were new. I said lets see it I watched him cut a pass in the yard(and he was right it looked awful)
Well he had his anti-scalp wheels set so close to the ground the deck was ridding on them and not even going all the way down to where he had it set. He told me that is where the dealer set them. I told him on my tractor those wheel rarely ever touch the ground. I told him those wheels have nothing to do with his deck being level.I moved them all the way up to show him. His mower does a terrific job now. I told him he could adjust the wheels later or never his yard is flat and will never need those wheel anyhow. Are all dealer this stupid ?
He even show me his book and where it said to set the wheel I think was wrong to. I used my deck leveling gage to check his deck and it was level.Now I'm wondering if some other people that are having mower decks cutting badly if this is not the cause.:fing32:

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Could be he set his deck lower than what the dealer thought he should. Around here almost everyone scalps their lawns so they won't have to cut as often.

My tractor is not a JD but my lawn looks more even when my gauge wheels are down than when they are raised. Mind you, my yard is anything but flat.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I agree, the guy probably changed his cut height after the time of sale. I always set them in the highest position and tell folks to adjust them only if they have cut quality problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts