My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
That there's worth fixin'
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got these tri ribs for her. Already have new Carlilse 6-12's for the rears.

Going on the old 59 I'm (ever so slowly) rebuilding. Hope to get back to it once cold weather gets here.

Attachments

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
You are gonna Love those tires Rick!!! I like the V61's too, but the tri ribs steer so smooth and nice, and I have not had any issues with them tearing up my grass.

Nice Jeep BTW

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ditto on the jeep! Are those tires sitting a baby crib! Lol

·
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you guys. It's a 77 CJ5 with a replacement fiberglass body.
Not a crib. No kids, just me and the wife.

Can't wait to mount up the tires. They say "tube type" so I gotta get a pair of inner tubes first.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
Thanks you guys. It's a 77 CJ5 with a replacement fiberglass body.
Not a crib. No kids, just me and the wife.

Can't wait to mount up the tires. They say "tube type" so I gotta get a pair of inner tubes first.
Definitely! I used the slime ones from walmart- about $10 a piece, and they are super thick!

·
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely! I used the slime ones from walmart- about $10 a piece, and they are super thick!
Sounds like a good idea to me. Nearly impossible to get a flat with those I bet. Any kind of a leak even a really slow one is such a pain in the neck.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Nice CJ! Used to have an '83 CJ-7 Laredo, really liked it except that the straight six had no power to push that flat windshield down the highway on windy days. Now, all I daydream about is getting a '41-'45 Willys or Ford.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Yeah those tires are nice and should really look good on that tractor, just like a farm tractor.

I was wondering how you were making out with that rebuild. My BIL is on me to do mine. Sounds like he wants to help.

My dad bought a brand new CJ5 in 75. He put some kick butt tires with craiger mags on it.

·
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine has steering problems that I have to get worked out. One spindle had been broken and welded poorly. Was screwing up the whole setup. Cast iron pinion gear had a broken tooth too. Not a big deal but turned me off it for a spell.

Those Jeeps in 75 I think had dana 44 rears. bulletproof. Mine has the amc or "rambler" rear end. It's ok but not like the good Dana's.

Maybe if you get your BIL involved it will help speed things along when you get going on your 60.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Mine has steering problems that I have to get worked out.
I pushed mine out of the way the other day and the steering slipped a little. I guessing it's the pinion gear.

My BIL is a auto painter/body guy. If he has his way it will be auto paint and clear coat.

·
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I pushed mine out of the way the other day and the steering slipped a little. I guessing it's the pinion gear.

My BIL is a auto painter/body guy. If he has his way it will be auto paint and clear coat.
Seen several of them with the same problem. The sector gear teeth dont go all the way to the end of the casting so it can bind then probably break the pinion. The stops on the axle don't seem to stop the travel as soon as they should. I welded my pinion but don't expect it to be very good. Hard to get a good weld on cast iron.
I may try and make a steel one. It's a simple spur gear and wouldn't be too hard with an indexing head and a Bridgeport. Might even be able to find something that would work through Boston Gear.

It'll look great with base coat clear coat. let him have at it!
I used single stage (acrylic enamel)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I'll check it out but I'm sure your right about the problem. Be nice to see your fix when you get to it or if you find a replacement.

·
Sears Tractor Fan
1,262 Posts
Nice looking tires, where did you get the tri ribs? I want to get a set soon. Are these tires for your really nice copper DB resto?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Those Jeeps in 75 I think had dana 44 rears. bulletproof. Mine has the amc or "rambler" rear end. It's ok but not like the good Dana's..
You can do what I did and put it together with a small block Chevy engine and 3/4 ton Chevy rears, I got tired of breaking the stock stuff.:trink39:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts