My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We tried Chicks in the spring. Sudden cold wet weather killed them all. Next year, it was something different. My wife said: "Finee, no more of that"

I'm not like that, I'd like to raise my own, put em in the Freezer etc.
So...in the local Gas station where a lot of the local Aggies have coffee I was lamenting the facts and asking what they thought.

One guy spoke up: "I've been cull'n chicks for two days, I got buckets full if you want to try them, I'll bring em over to the house for you!" He said: "I've been feeding em' to the Cat fish in the Pond!" (Hmmmm, where's this pond? I eat Catfish too!)

I jumped on that, but asked if he'd explain culling and would he let me help for the Culls?
So I went through 44,000 Chicks each morning for three days.
90 Degrees in them houses, four houses. I was beat to death. That Chicken farming has some lousy work times etc.

Then another member of the family got about 40,000 this morning so I went over to help with the process.
It was kinda fun. Lot's of folks make any kind of work fun. I'm a Yankee, and I got laughed at a lot. Not knowing what to do and all like that.

I was amazed at how they put the little tub with the little rubber chicks out there and flip it, pull the tub out from under the Chicks and they Free fall to the sawdust floor. Stunned for a minute, but then up and going. Like nothing had happend.

Out of 40,000 Chicks, one was Black. The Rest gold or white.
The little grand baby spotted that Black Chick and got it immediatly.
035.jpg

So it was all done in an hour or so. I'm tired. I'll sleep in tomorrow.
It sure was a good week though.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I'm beginning to feel like a 'victim' of circumstances. A professional Victim!
The temp dropped to 50 degrees tonite.
Every time I get baby chicks the weather tries to kill them.

I moved the whole 10' long Biddy coop into the warmth of the Chicken house today. Tough job too. Had only my Wife n' Daughter to help pack and situate that big heavy thing. The Pneumatic nail gun failed when we were all straining to hold it in place. Jeez!
Biddy coop
016.jpg
From inside the biddy coop
1st day for a few of them..jpg
Four legged chick. His extra legs kept catching on things. He finally died.
Four legged chick.jpg

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sonny I had those kind of lamps in AK when I raised Chicks, Turkey Chicks, Quail and ONE time I had 25 Ducks. (just once I had Ducks)

With Chicks and Turkey Chicks you can use those lamps till they start to jump and fly.
Then you have make sure they don't burn their little feet, or get caught in the cage and cook to death.

I wound up using 'out door' Spot lights as they provide heat without burning.
Also in the extreme cold an ordinary incandescent bulb will just burn out on you. It happend to me during the night several times.

Quail can survive that sudden cold darkness, but not the Baby Chicks.
So I quit on the ordinary Incandescence and went to those Spots.

For Adult Chickens I just used the two Heat lamp bulbs to keep the lower half of the Coop above Freezing.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those Chicks are all grown now and ready to Butcher. We don'tave room in the Freezer for all of them though.
I like to 'do' them promptly at 5 weeks, no later than six weeks. Crappers, they are now Seven weeks old. Nearly as large as the grown Hens.

chicks 7 weeks.jpg chicks finally figgerd out the feeder.jpg

·
Registered
609 Posts
6 weeks is a good time to throw em in the fridge, but I have ate a couple that were way older then that, and they were ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts