My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I have an old b7100 hsd that's reaching the end of it's engine lifetime. I'm unsure of the hours, because the meter was broken when I got the tractor. It blows a lot of blue smoke upon starting, then lightens up to blowing a consistant haze of bluish whitish smoke. It will continue to blow this haze all the time, it doesn't matter if the engine's warm or cold. It increases with increased throttle, and turns a little more bluish. I don't get that much blowby for the first little bit, but once it heats up it blows a noticable amount of vapor out the blowby tube.

No doubt the tractor needs some attention. I suspect the rings are pretty much gone, as well as perhaps a piston or two. I haven't done any testing yet, but I'm thinking about replacing the rings and pistons this winter. I'd like to know if any of you more experienced mechanics have undertaken a similar endeavor, and have any insight or suggestions. Absolutely any help or knowledge would be very much appreciated, especially regarding the difficulty of the job, where to get parts, and what "illness" you guys might suspect judging by the symptoms I've stated.

:thanku:Thanks so much for any help!:thanku:

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Hello CUB,

Yes, it sounds like badly worn rings and perhaps some scaring on the cylinder walls. Before you dive in it may help for you to take a look at your model and it's components in our MTF reference library here:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/images/reference/B7100DT.pdf

It's not too difficult to tear down these small diesel engines and parts seem to be readily available. If you're doing this alone then work cleanly, organize your parts as they're removed and take before, during and after pictures if there is any lengthy down time. It will help greatly when it's time to reassemble the engine.

And of course, Keep us posted and we'll help as much as we can :fing32:

Mark

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts