My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a rod, piston, rings and new gaskets in a project 318 I've got that had a broken rod. I also adjusted the valves.
It starts very quickly but only really runs well with the choke activated but no matter what position the choke and throttle are in it sputters and backfires.

The throttle really does not do too much and the choke actually seems to increase the speed of the engine more than the throttle (they are connected to the appropriate parts, not backwards).

I put new plugs in and gapped them as well. I'm going to drain the fuel tomorrow to see if that helps.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
may be running lean, float level high enough? needle plugged?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would look at a couple of issue.

1) is all your throtle/governor/spring in the right location for the throttle to actual being doing something. There are multiple adjust holes for the spring to go into.
2) i would take the carb apart and clean thoroughly and blast the orfices with compressed air.
3) check your ignition point gaps.

If you have already insured the the valves are adjusted correcty then i would start with those issues.

report back what you find.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. The new plugs have a lot of carbon on them also.

I have had trouble getting the throttle to return to low when the lever is moved. I'm going to take the carb apart this afternoon hopefully and will also read about the point gap.

Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
point gap should be 0.016 it is very easy to adjust...just need an allen key.

Are you sure that you adjusted the valves correctly? what was the process you adjusted them and what dimensions did you adjust them to?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
point gap should be 0.016 it is very easy to adjust...just need an allen key.

Are you sure that you adjusted the valves correctly? what was the process you adjusted them and what dimensions did you adjust them to?
I need to figure out where adjust the point. Never done that before.

For the valves, I used the feeler gauges and adjusted the intake to .13mm and the exhaust to .33mm. Hopefully I did it correctly. I followed page 15-15 in the engine manual that's posted on this site.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hurstrescue.....those are not the right dimension.....your intake should be adjusted to .005mm and your exhaust to .013mm...there is also a systematic way to adjust them as well. you need to have the piston at TDC on the compression stroke while adjusting. once you have the one side done you turn the engine over 1 complete revolution and back to TDC on the opposite side compression stroke. then double and triple check your meausrements

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hurstrescue.....those are not the right dimension.....your intake should be adjusted to .005mm and your exhaust to .013mm...there is also a systematic way to adjust them as well. you need to have the piston at TDC on the compression stroke while adjusting. once you have the one side done you turn the engine over 1 complete revolution and back to TDC on the opposite side compression stroke. then double and triple check your meausrements
I did use the TDC process for each side; I forgot about that until I saw your post. I think the dimensions you have is for inches. The manual says 0.13mm (0.005 in) for the intake and 0.33mm (0.013 in) for the exhaust.

I appreciate the follow up!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts