My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Question on how my 3 point hitch is supposed to work on my B414.

I grew up using a lot newer International tractors (684, 685, and 3288) and they always performed as follows:

1) Always stayed in the current location of the lever whether the engine was running or not
2) Pull the lever up, they go up/ push the lever down, they go down.
3) Speed could be changed with the second lever for how fast they responded.

My family owned many IH tractors over the years but many of them were before my time so I haven't seen this. My B414 3 point hitch is doing the following:

1) Whether the lever is at the top or bottom, the hitch goes pretty much to the top (will if the lever is completely to the top) as soon as I start the tractor.
2) Turn off the engine and they drop to the bottom within a 5-10 seconds after
3) When I push the lever to the bottom with the engine running, they don't go down (nothing attached).

Is this the way they're supposed to work? How do I get them to go down except shutting off the engine? Is there something I need to change with the valve under the seat and that's the problem with it not going down or will it only drop if I actually have something attached weighing it down?

I know it was working properly for the guy I bought it (2 weeks ago) from as he was using a Bush Hog on it to do around his property.

Any help is appreciated - hope to get a snow blower for it and pictures of it posted soon.

Thanks

Grant

·
Registered
110 Posts
On my 404 the second lever is the FLOAT.
You adjust it according to the weight of the implement on the rear you are using. My McCormick 100 Balanced Mower will be "light" enough with this set correctly to float over hard objects in it's way versus digging into the ground or hitting them full force.

You have to adjust the float lever to your mower weight....which is a bit of trial and error there until you get it to act like you want.

ALSO....
If you are looking at your three point with no load on it....and trying to figure out what the heck it is doing without any weight load on it....that will add to your confusion.

·
Registered
595 Posts
i figured out a lot about how my 3-point hitch worked by standing on the lift arms while playing with the lever...your weight will provide enough force to push the arms down.

tmm

·
Registered
853 Posts
Hi,

Question on how my 3 point hitch is supposed to work on my B414.
I've got four tractors from that series of British/Indian tractors. Two B275s, B414, and a 3414. With all, the hitch arms drop fine with no weight. I suspect you've got an internal leak in the valving. But, if it works OK when some weight is on it, I probably wouldn't worry about it. But, that can be pain when you're trying to hook up attachments the hitch won't drop down low enough.

I use a 6 foot Deere 240 on my B-275 or B-414 and it works pretty good. I've had it in 4-5 feet of snow. Get's your neck sore after while, looking back and riding backwards.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts