My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I just purchased a used (433 hrs) B2400 HSD Kubota with a FEL. Upon purchase there was one small problem noted by the seller. Occasionally when trying to start the tractor all you get is a clicking of the solenoid. After a few tries the machine will start. This does not happen all of the time. The seller said he thought it was the battery. I think it's the solenoid.

I called the local Kubota dealer and ask him about it and this is what he said.

When a Kubota gets some age on it the current being sent to the starter can be less than it takes to start it every time. Something about the wiring and/or safety switches. He said they usually install a relay to direct the full current to the starter momentarily when starting. this usually fixes the problem.

Has anyone ever heard of a fix like this?

I checked the battery voltage at the battery, 12.7 volts. I checked the voltage at the starter when starting the tractor and as best as I could tell it was around 10.5 to 12 volts.

Any thoughts on what might be the problem? I don't mind buying a solenoid to fix the problem but, hate to waste the money if this is not going to fix it.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Roy Hill

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Welcome aboard Roy H.
To answer your question, YES, this is a known fix for older safety switch loaded down Kubota's (and some other brand too). It doesn't effect all of them but it is prevalent.
I'd also like to add that the B2400 is a nice tractor.

Just like your dealer said, all those safety switches and associated wireing tend to get corroded, frayed, loose etc., which add's resistance to the safety switch loop and unfortunately the currect needed to energize the starter solenoid runs through all that. Once the resistance is high enough theres not enough current to pull the solenoid's plunger.

I've read where some folks have been successful in going through the entire safety switch circuit, (switches, connectors, wiring and all tractor grounds) and did not need to add the relay. Many others were not and had to add the relay.
It takes alot less current to pull in a low power relay as opposed to a high power solenoid.
If you have some electrical knoledge you can wire one in. You could also go through the circuit and clean & tighten every connection you find.

Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Volfandt

Thanks for your reply. I do have some electrical knowledge however, where do I purchase a relay and what type? I'm afraid my local Kubota dealer might not sell me the relay but he was kind enough to tell me about the fix. What do you think? Is it worth the chance to ask him? Any information on the purchase of a relay and installation instructions would be much appreciated.

Roy Hill :thanku:

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
I don't know the specifics but based on my BX23's schematic, which may be similar to your B2400, the power thats provided to the starter solenoid when the key switch is turned to start is fused by a 15amp fuse. With that as a basis you'd want a 12vdc automotive style normally open relay with the switched contacts rated to aleast 15amps. The pull down coil doesn't need to be rated that high but the switched contacts need to be.
I'd recommend to check Napa or any automotive supply shop for the relay. I'd also get a price from the dealer for the relay and another for them to do a turnkey install. They shouldn't have a problem selling you the parts. They may even have a mod kit.

re. install of the relay. (I've not done one but if I were to, I'd probably start with the following. Modify as you see fit).
The easiest way would be to install the new relay close to the starter solenoid.
1) Remove the switched hot lead (the one that is hot when the key switch is turned to start) from the solenoid and wire it to one side of the new relays coil.
2) Wire the other side of the new relays coil to grd.
3) Run a new wire from the positive battery post, through a new automotive style 15amp fuse and wire it to the "common" terminal of the new relay.
4) Run another new wire from the "make" contact on the new relay to the terminal on the starter solenoid where you removed the switched hot lead.
The theory of operation:
When the key switch is turned to the start position, current flows to the new relays pull down coil to grd. This activiates the relay to the "make" condition. In the "make" condition current flow from the battery will flow through the new 15amp fuse, through the common relay contact, through the "make" contact, to the starter solenoid's "start" terminal which energizes the solenoid which energizes the starter.
Since the new relay doesn't have to have as much current to activate as the starter solenoid does, the resistance in the safety circuitry doesn't effect it nearly as much.

FYI, on the BX23, the power from the key switch to the starter solenoid has to run through the pto switch, HST neutral switch and the HST pedal switch. Your B2400 may be similar. One of the switches could also just need adjustment.
Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the info.

Marty, are you saying that a Ford starter solenoid (assuming it will fit) will do the job of an additional relay installed just for this purpose? Sounds like Kubota should have went back to the drawing board on this one.

My B2400 is a used tractor that I just recently purchased. I am very happy with it and the starter problem is not a big deal (yet). Today I tested all of my implements that I normally use on the Ford 1710 that I have, and they all worked great. I didn't hook up the single point plow that I have but I was told it would work also.

I used the MMM today for the first time and I love it. I can see me using it more often that the bush hog I have. I usually mow a large field with the bush hog but today I mowed it with the MMM and it worked great.

Volfandt, do you have a MMM with your BX and if so, do you usually take it off when using the FEL? I have a lot of dead pine trees on the ground I want to clean up and I have a feeling the MMM will be in the way or maybe get damaged. Is it a pain to take off and put on?

The Ford 1710 I have is great little tractor but it has manual steering and I can't put a FEL on it so, I bought the Kubota from a neighbor who is moving. He said he hardly ever used the three point hitch, and I can believe it. The side that has the adjustable arm had never been moved and was froze in place. It took about an hour to remove it and get it working properly. Looking forward to many happy hours on the Kubota. It is the first tractor I have had with a FEL.

Thanks for your comments and information on the solenoid.

Have a great day.

Roy H

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
You're gonna love that FEL :D
If it doesn't already have them, weld or bolt some chain hooks on the top of it. I bolted 3 on mine, 1 in the middle and one at each end. Some folks only add 1 or 2.
With a chain or rope, those hooks on the FEL will save you all kinds of back breaking heavy lifting and hauling.....
If you're going to do alot of digging with the FEL you may want to check into adding a tooth bar to it. Theres several manufacturers folks around here use (do a search for tooth bar) and many can be easily mounted/discmounted.
A few other handy implements to add to an FEL are: a quick attach which lets you swap between the bucket, fork lift implement and a grapple. These cost $$$'s but are very handy.
Theres times I wished I had a grapple when I'm cleaning my fence rows..

re. the Ford starter solenoid. Thats a great suggestion but the relay you need to add doesn't need to be that heavy duty. The only problem I could see with it is since it is a heavy duty solenoid, like the solenoid thats on your starter now, it may require as much current to actuate which would kinda put you back in the same boat. If you can pick one up on the cheap, it would definitely be worth a shot....
One auto style relay that comes to mind would be a common horn relay. They use a very low current to actuate the coil and the contact's can handle higher current. But I really haven't researched it enough to know for sure.

re. MMM. Unless I'm doing some serious digging and/or I'm servicing the tractor, my MMM stays on 9 months out of the yr.
Although they aren't too bad, they can be a pain to mount/dismount.
I'm thinking your MMM is a ground contact type meaning the height of the cut is determined by the setting of the gauge wheels. The MMM basically rides on those wheels, just like a RFM or a rotary cutters (brush hog) rear wheel. There may be an easy way to to turn the wheels to make it easy to roll in/out from under the tractor or it may even be a drive-over, of this I'm not sure.
Your B2400 has almost double the ground clearance of my BX23 so leaving it on may be OK in most cases but if you're climbing over alot of stuff then you'll probably have to remove it.
As with anything new, you're first couple of go-rounds need to be slow and very observant.
These Kubota's are pretty stout and can take most of what you can throw at them, course be careful around the the fuel/hydraulic lines, fuel & hydraulic filters.

For more info you might drop down the page a section into the CUT/Kubota section, theres quite a bit of info to be found there on you're sized CUT.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Volfandt,

Thanks for the tips on the FEL. I already love that thing. I have done several jobs with it already.

I was thinking about getting some chain on forks for the bucket. I found some on ebay. What do you know about clamp on or chain on forks? I won't need them a lot but I know when I do, nothing else will work as good. I have heard that the clamp on forks will turn sometimes and they are hard to get clamped tight enough. The claim of the forks on ebay is they will not turn like the clamp on type and they go on and off in minutes.

I'll check into the teeth for the bucket.

Thanks.

Roy H:smilie_fl

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Don't have any info on the forks. I've read the good and bad on both types. I see that the clamp on's seem to be more popular but since I haven't used them I'll have to defer to those that have.
Theres a fellow that makes a set for the BX models that uses a wedge type clamp at the top edge of the bucket. Very easy on/off. As far as fitting your B2400 I'm not sure. You could give him a shout at www.bxpanded.com

Whatever way you go, post a followup and review.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Volfandt,

I just sernt him an email and will follow up.

Roy H

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Volfandt,

The bucket fork guy said he did not have forks to fit a B2400 at this time but, he was working on new equipment, maybe in the future.

Thanks for the tip.

Roy H

1 - 11 of 11 Posts