My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just walked outside to do something and heard this ROAR in the sky. When I looked up, there was a B17 lowering its landing gear on final approach to the Waukegan Airport. There will be 4 Warbirds held at the airport until they leave for Oshkosh over the weekend. The planes will be a B17, B24, B25, and a P51.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Col, will you get to go look at them? If so get pictures!

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
That's cool; hardly anything sounds as good as 4 radial engines running together. I flew to Oshkosh last year with a friend in his Bonanza. The approach and landing during AirVenture is as exciting as anything I've ever done. They were putting a plane on the ground every ten seconds on three separate runways (they were also using the taxiway on runway 9-27).

·
Administrator
21,222 Posts
That would be pretty impressive. Just makes your heart race, hearing them approach, doesn't it?

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The P51 just flew in about 5 minutes ago.

·
Super Duper Member
1,471 Posts
We had a B-2 fly over our house on July 11th. It was on its way to Joliet, IL to do a NASCAR flyover at Chicagoland Speedway. We could tell right away it was not your average jet. :eek:mg:

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
What a great sighting.

I had two of the huge twin rotor helicopters, painted all black, and had a cable on standoffs running down the sides of them buzz my rooftop on Saturday afternoon.

They were so low that the rotors sound was beating me in the chest a good ten seconds before they appeared.

Actually kinda spooky.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I flew a 25 a few times years ago. Very nice handling ac. I really enjoyed flying it!
Because the prop tips were so close to the pilot and copilot, ear damage was a common thing due to the high frequency put out by them.

Flew in a 24 a couple of times. Put your head in a steel drum with marbles rolling around and you will get the idea of what they sound like in the back. Coldest and nosiest d---n thing I ever rode in other than a C-124. I felt sorry for the guys that had to spend hours in them.

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: B17 sighting ALTERNATIVE

I attended a meeting in an office building on the Potomac in DC a number of years back. While we were on a break, we saw two Marine helicopters flying towards the Whitehouse. What was a bit strange was that they were followed by a gunship with NO markings at all. Lots of rocket pods however.

What a great sighting.

I had two of the huge twin rotor helicopters, painted all black, and had a cable on standoffs running down the sides of them buzz my rooftop on Saturday afternoon.

They were so low that the rotors sound was beating me in the chest a good ten seconds before they appeared.

Actually kinda spooky.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
I got to crawl around a B17 a few yrs ago. It was part of the Confederate AF that goes on tour every yr. It was an amazing experience. From films, I always had the impression of how huge they were but in reality they aren't as big as I thought. At 6' 230 I could barely move around it. The tighest fit was traversing the bombbay from the front to the back. A small cat walk was all there was to get between the bomb racks. There was no way I could fit in the belly turrent or the tail gunners station. The side gunners had to be careful not to run into each other in the heat of battle. All the quarters were tight, they made use of every sq in. The bombs had the most room :D
They were charging $200 for a 1/2 flight and I was tempted but opted to just crawl around it.
Oddly, the B24 Liberator that was also on display seemed bigger.

As an aside note, the A6 Intruder, the Naval/Marine attack/bomber of my day carried as much ordnance as the B17 did in WWII.

·
Retired AF Lifer!
643 Posts
Probably the most graceful of the WWII "big" bombers it didn't have quite the range or speed the B-24 did but was able to take more punishment. If you want to start an argument put a 17 vet in a room with a 24 vet and ask which was the better plane..... Hard to imagine the "aluminum overcast" bomber formations of the war with 300-400 of them all together.
:wwp: :wwp: :wwp:

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
I was EXTREMELY fortunate to attend an airshow in Scranton, PA a few years back that had TWO flying B-17s do passes in formation with a P-51 flying "high cover". The only thing I can think of that sounds better than 4 sweet radial engines running is eight of 'em. I think the last I heard, there are only 9 flying airworthy B-17's left in the world? And on another occassion, I got to see a B-29 do a flyover of my mom's house. I heard that through my ear muffs and over the tractor's noise cutting grass.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I took my dad to a local airport for a fly-in the year before he passed away. The star of the show was a B-17 and it was one of only two times in my life I ever saw my Dad cry. Quite touching to see his joy over something that he remembered as a WWII veteran!

·
Registered
821 Posts
This looks like the 25 I flew. The thing was built like a brick out house but soared like an eagle. Man I loved that airplane! It would almost jump off the ground. Typical of WWII bombers, room inside was at a premium. PJ

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
I dug up a couple pics. I know I took some of the inside but I'll have to do some more searching.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts