My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a late model Simplicity Landlord with an 18 hp Vanguard vertical shaft engine in it. I need to replace this engine and want to swap a used engine engine in it if possible or maybe something new, but less expensive than the Vanguard.

The engine code is 35077
The engine type is 1152-E1
It is 18 hp, a V-twin, has a 1 inch diameter x 1-5/32 shaft.

I don't mind going down in hp for now and have found a free donor tractor (MTD) with a B & S 14.5 OHV I/C Quiet engine in it. I can't find the shaft length/diameter listed anywhere or what the alternator amperage is.

This engine code is 287707
The engine type is 0224-01

The Vanguard on my tractor has an alternator that is 16 amps, but I'm told a 9 amp will work. The tractor has an electric PTO and dash and head lights. For this swap, I can do without using the head lights if that will reduce the load on the alternator. I've also seen engines with 5/3 amp alternators - not sure what the design intent/use of that configuration.

So what to do? Can I use the above 14.5 engine or should I look else where?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Bill

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Engine should bolt up no problems. You likely will have to modify the wiring harness. Shaft should be the same. Electric PTOs do draw a fair bit if current. You will have to see what alternator is on the smaller engine.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine should bolt up no problems. You likely will have to modify the wiring harness. Shaft should be the same. Electric PTOs do draw a fair bit if current. You will have to see what alternator is on the smaller engine.
Thanks much for the help. Any idea how much current these electric PTO's draw?

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
In doing some reading just last night, I discovered my Tecumseh snowblower engine has a 3A/5A alternator. 3A DC, 5A AC, I believe. The DC side is to charge the battery (if so equipped), and the AC side is to power headlights and handwarmers.

But that's probably a significantly smaller load than your electric PTO, I'd guess. So perhaps not a configuration that would really help you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts