My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I have Vanguard 23 hp V-twin vertical shaft engine that I am installing in a Gilson chassie. Type 386777-1021.
The engine is from 2008 but have only run a couple of hours (last year as a replacement engine in another tractor) since new.
In the new machine the engine does not start.
The starter runs, the fuelpump works, the carburetor is clean, new fuel. It does run for a few seconds on starter fluid/gas so I assume there is spark.
On the carburetor there is a pipe that look like a second fuel line but has no hose attatched. I cannot figure out what this is for. I noticed it leaking gas there during a starting attempt.
Electrical issue?
Any ideas?

·
7,002 Posts
If that engine is sitting in the tractor the way it is intended, it is a vertical engine...and I THINK ( not positive) that the extra line is a return line back to the fuel tank

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, of coures its a vertical shaft. My bad. I have edited the question.
A returnline would make sense, but I have not seen any mention of such a thing when researching this. Also there was no such hose there when I dismounted it from its previous usage.

Hmmm.... what if the fuel solenoid is not allowing fuel into the carbureator (the electrical system is on the to-to list), would the fuel from the pump come out through the return hose? Or not enter the carbureator at all?

·
7,002 Posts
The solenoid only stops gas from going into the main jet...it does not stop it from entering the carb altogether...that seems to be a common misconception....the needle valve is what controlls the flow into the carb....but if you turn the key to on...you should hear the solenoid click...if you are unsure, you can take the solenoid out and run a jumper from the positive battery terminal to it and touch the solenoid to the chassis and you will see it activate if it is working

·
15,000 +posts!
20,538 Posts
That is probably just a vent tube,and no gas should leak out of it unless it is flooding due to a needle & seat problem or bad float..all carbs need a vent ,some just have a hole in the body casting,others like yours have a nipple ,some engines may even have a canister hooked to that vent to collect gas fumes..

I have had brass floats develop holes after storing an engine away for some time,I think the ethanol is like an acid and it eats pinholes in the brass..if you have a plastic float it may have swelled up..

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
If you have not done the electric, and there's no power to the ABF solenoid, you will have a real difficult time getting the engine to start and run. The fuel flow from the float bowl is limited/partially obstructed by the ABF. I think enough to prevent the engine from drawing enough fuel to run(for sure run past idle rpm). It does not completely block the flow, and is NOT a fuel shutoff like you would/should install in the fuel line leading from the fuel tank.
You can use a 9-volt battery to operate the solenoid, or to test it. Click-click as power is applied/removed.
If you are loathe to do a permanent connection until you figure out the ignition switch wiring(DO NOT CONNECT BATTERY VOLTAGE TO THE MAGNETO) you can jumper the ABF to the battery or to a transistor radio battery(for a while) and it should run. If lack of power to the ABF is the problem.
tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts