My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brotherinlaw has a JD/ JS63 that knocks on start up but smooths out pretty much at the governed speed. I took a look at it today and the c-shaft pin was sheared, so I replaced it and buttoned it back up and it still has the knock on startup. I'm thinking the c-shaft might be bent. If you guys have any advice or opinions they are greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
You could remove the sparkplug and remove the blade and have someone rotate the crankshaft while you hold something near the tip of the crank stub to act as a point of reference to see if the stub is wobbling. Now if you happen to have a dial indicator and a magnetic base you could really see what's up.

Probably just a loose rod. My pushmower also knocks and smokes on start up. I'll run it till it blows. Actually, now that I think about it...It's been knocking and smoking less since I topped up the oil level with some Delvac. Maybe I should change the oil :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys but after checking a little further it ended up being... a loose blade! He's not one to keep up with his OPE. He said he had stopped using it last year when it started knocking. Good thing!!! Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts