My Tractor Forum banner

B&S coil

758 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  wombat286 
#1 ·
Dad gave me and old Snapper 501 he is no longer using. He said it ran a couple of years ago but won't fire now. I replaced the plug and he said he had updated the ignition to solid state a couple of years ago. He said it's probably the coil needs replacing. Not sure how to find out what coil to use. He bought the thing at a yard sale probably 10 years ago so he has no manual and not even sure its the origanal engine. You guys got any ideas.

Thanks

#2 ·
If you have the six digit model number for the engine then you can look it up on Briggs' site for the manual and parts list. For a single-cylinder engine there are only three ignitions available and their application is dictated by the HP of the engine (2-4HP, 5-6HP, and 7-16HP IIRC), but they're expensive enough that it's worth finding your model number to make sure it's right.

How to find your model number: http://planopower.com/model_number/briggs_model_number.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.