My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Got Low Range????
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted similar question on the Husqvarna site but it sometimes does not get much activity so here goes. How does the 23 hp V engine compare to the 27 hp E engine? Is 23 hp as large as the V series goes?
Thanks,

·
Eccentric Englishman
796 Posts
Vanguards go as large as 35HP I believe, but you dont need anywhere near that much HP in a lawn mower.
Vanguards are Briggs best engine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Vanguards go as large as 35HP I believe, but you dont need anywhere near that much HP in a lawn mower.
Vanguards are Briggs best engine.
Speaking of briggs engines, i would like to ask how good quality are the I/C Industrial Commercial engines? For all of the ones ive seen they seem to perform pretty good.

·
Eccentric Englishman
796 Posts
All Briggs engines are fine if you use them for what they were intended and keep up maintenance.
The main difference between the different models of Briggs engines is their life expectancy before needing an overhaul. The cheaper engines are expected to reach about 300 hours, the Vanguards up to 2000 (and I have heard of engines at 4k with no major work).

So basically, whatever engine you have, treat it well and it'll last out the tractor.

·
Got Low Range????
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All Briggs engines are fine if you use them for what they were intended and keep up maintenance.
The main difference between the different models of Briggs engines is their life expectancy before needing an overhaul. The cheaper engines are expected to reach about 300 hours, the Vanguards up to 2000 (and I have heard of engines at 4k with no major work).

So basically, whatever engine you have, treat it well and it'll last out the tractor.
I agree. I've never had any major problems with B&S engines and mostly never paid much attention to the different names. Mostly just considered the size or hp ratings. Does anyone know haw the 2 engines match up power wise as torque numbers are not given?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Speaking of briggs engines, i would like to ask how good quality are the I/C Industrial Commercial engines? For all of the ones ive seen they seem to perform pretty good.
By I/c I believe you mean the older flathead ICs. If so I have nothing but praise for them. I have a 6hp ic on a murray mulching pushmower(no bag, no chute) it's been in constant use since the late 80's with annual oil changes and maint. Stored by pushing under old truck in backyard year round.
1st of season pump the primer twice and 2 pulls she starts everytime. never ceases to amaze me. I hit a hidden piece of concrete with it last year and killed it dead. The new replacement is doggy dooly not worth thr box it came in. I also have an 18.5 hp opposed twin ic that has been just as great. Had to replce a leaking gasket in the crankcase a few years ago but otherwise it has taken much abuse and comes back like a good dog beggeng for more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts