My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a broken aluminum valve push rod. From all I have read this is the intake valve push rod, part #692011. The exhaust valve push rod is #692003 and is made of steel.

My question is, why can't you use a steel one on both valves? They are the same length and then you wouldn't likely bend one again!

ideas?

[Hey Walt, I see your name on all the forums about mowers! Thanks for being such a wealth of knowledge – and patient!]

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,095 Posts
Thank you.

"why can't you use a steel one on both valves?"

Some people have done this including one of my friends. As far as I have heard, it worked OK. I have said I would do that IF the occasion arose but so far it hasn't. I am not recommending that anyone else use steel instead of aluminum.

Many inquiries about the difference usually results in answers about metallurgy and expansion/contraction. The real mystery to me if this is the case is why B&S Intek engines use the aluminum push rod on the Intake Valve while the Japanese B&S Vanguard uses the aluminum push rod on the Exhaust Valve.

I would venture a guess that the aluminum push rod that bent had a badly worn spot about an inch down from the Rocker Arm. This is from the push rod riding on the fiber guide which holds the push rod and rocker arm in place and is why I always recommend reversing the aluminum push rod when adjusting the valves.

Walt Conner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts